Do you think a child should learn how to swim?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 11:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Definitely.  I know too many people and have heard about too many people who have had children who have drowned.  I know that knowing how to swim doesn't prevent drowning in all cases but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  My 5 year old and 4 year old can swim and I will be teaching my 1 year old how to tread water this summer.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Absolutely!

My child has swim lessons every summer. He looks forward to it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• As a pool owner...YES YES YES!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:51 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yes. I never learned how to swim and I am terrified of deep water. I would not want my kids to be the same way.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• YES!!! They should also learn some basic water safety as well... even if they don't have regular access to pools or lakes. This info can save their life!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 100% yes! Water safety is a must. They don't have to like being in the water, they don't have to be little water bugs, but they have to have the skill and knowledge to help themselves if they ever get in a situation where they need to.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Absolutely!!!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yes always. There is no reason they shouldnt learn. Its a safety factor.

Answer by gemgem at 11:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yes. More especially if family or friends have a pool.
    MamaCyjo

Answer by MamaCyjo at 12:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yes

But keep in mind that a child knowing how to swim doesn't keep them safe and that they should never swim alone or unsupervised.
    My mother never learned how to swim and that was part of her motiviation to have us learn. My husband never learned to swim either and it is very important that our child learn to swim as well. Both my mother and husband had near drowning experiences that he given them a fear of the water. They do not want their children to have that same fear.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011