ideas on how to correct a mouthy 6 year old.

For those who don;t know already he has Asperger's so we are prone to 'melt-downs' and mood swings. We have been using 1-2-3 your out with his attitude. Well he is complying quite well with the fact that he is typically in his room for 'cool-down' before I get to 3. The problem is he is screaming the whole time I am counting. Everything from. I hate you to I will kill you when I grow up. He is already being punished by sending him to his cool-down place for a time out so I can't send him to his room. Spanking is out he doesn't understand. Privilege loss is something we use but at the time of the mouthiness it doesn't matter to him. I could tell him no dessert and he hates dessert I tell him no video games and he hates video games... I just don't know how to control his mouth.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 11:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Personally I would ignore it and stick to the counting so he might get it that it doesn't phase you. Just one idea......
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I'm kind of in the same boat you are, I have a 5 year old who's getting a mouth on her. I'm not familiar with Aspergers though so not sure how much my 2 cents will help, but when mine is being a brat I tell her that I will talk to her when she decides to be nice to me or when her attitude changes, then I ignore her until she apologizes and changes her attitude. It's actually been working for me, not 100% of the time but it seems to be doing a better job than time outs and taking her things away.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• is an autism spectrum disorder that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development.

Have you discussed other options with your Behavorial Therapist?

Here is a link I found about outbursts- Sorry I could be of no more help....

My daughter has outbursts constantly. She is usually put in her room and I remove all toys and what not so she just has to sit there- then I talk to her about how she should have handled whatever it was the caused the outburst.
    MamaCyjo

Answer by MamaCyjo at 12:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Wow, that's got to be difficult to deal with. Have u tried counseling?
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 12:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We are currently figuring out our options on behavioral therapy and seeking out a counselor.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2011