Child Spacing what do you think is Ideal?

MamaCyjo

Asked by MamaCyjo at 12:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2-3 years
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 1-2 yrs.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 3-4 years for US worked well. DD was fully potty trained, dressing herself, picking up after herself, etc before we brought another baby home. She's a great help with baby brother too. It depends what YOU want, and are willing to handle.:)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 2 years. It is rough when they are smaller. They are closer though as they get older.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Im thinking 2-3 years. Mine was 7 years and it has its pluses so far...
    babycakesaz

Answer by babycakesaz at 12:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• What I did worked for me.  I had my son, 5 to 6 months later I was pregnant with my 2nd.  When my second child was born about 2 years later I got pregnant with my 3rd.  When my 3rd child was less than a year I got pregnant with my 4th.  I like how it is but that's not for everyone, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Mine are 15 months apart. I find it great but....ideal IMO is only one child.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i think there are pros and cons regardless of which route you go. my first two are 7years apart and though it was kind of nice because my oldest was in school all day so i had time to focus on just new baby they arnt close and now 9years old and 21months my 9year old wants not much to do with his baby brother as hes to big for babies lol. Our third baby will be 2 years apart from our last one and though iv heard its hard for the first year i think we will like having the last to close together.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Just under 2 years apart has worked well for us so far (our second is approaching her 2nd birthday). I like it because my older one was old enough to be somewhat independent and not need everything done for him, but I wasn't out of the baby phase yet so it wasn't another huge adjustment to get back into all the baby stuff like feeding, dressing, doing everything... But i can see advantages to waiting a bit longer, too. I would NOT have wanted mine any closer in age than they are, but that's just me.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• There is no "ideal" spacing. What works great for one family would be insane for another. My first kids are each 1 year apart (15 months and 13 months apart) and that was perfect for us. It worked so great and I can't imagine having them farther apart. They are 10, 9 and 8 and do everything together and have the same group of friends (despite being in 5th, 3rd and 2nd grades). Then there is 3 1/2 years between #3 and #4 which for many people is ideal but I HATED every moment of it when the kids were little and feel so bad for my 4yo because she was/is left out of so much because her siblings are all older than her. Then there are 4 years between #4 and #5. I don't consider it ideal but it worked out okay. Not sure what I'll think in the fall when I'm left alone with a 1yo (never had that before, I've always had multiple kids when one of them was 1) because my 4yo starts kindergarten then.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011