Do you look down on people who live in manufactured homes?

Here is our deal. We'd like to continue not having a house payment. Our house is owned outright. But...it's WAY too small. My dh built it himself and we intended to sell before having kids but things didn't work out due to title issues which we are having fixed this month. With the current real estate market it's value has decreased even further. Our neighborhood has gone downhill in the past two years, and we're really piled on top of each other, so waiting to sell is not an option. We considered adding on, but we'd be outbuilding the area and would not make our money back. (We asked 3 realtors!)

Anywho, when we sell our options will be to buy a POS house and fix it up slowly... finding one in a nice area will be a challenge. However, they are out there so it would just take a little longer. It will be hard though, finding one with a good enough resell value to then build the house we really want... and many of the ones in better areas we could buy with cash would need A LOT of work... like... A LOT...possibly more than we'd have left over.

OR...

Where we live, if you live in the country, you are going to be near mobile or manufactured homes. We do want to live in the country eventually with a few areas in mind. I started thinking.... we could buy a mobile home on a couple of acres for LESS than we'd spend on a house with less than half an acre in the city. With that much land, we could live in the manufactured home and then use our own money to build the house we want next door. Then, we could rent out or sell the other place. I kind of like that idea because the ones I've looked at so far are really big, 4br's, and the areas are actually prettier than the houses we could get. Country, big yards...and around here in the country doublewides are well-kept and sit right across from big fancy houses. More room for the kids...privacy...

The only issue is I'm worried about the way people think of trailers. I mean, it would only be temporary until our house was finished...which would take a few years if we're using cash. But still...

What do you think? Do you think most people who live in manufactured homes are trashy? Poor? Do you think less of them? I don't...but I worry others will think that about me. I know that's stupid and it's my life blah blah blah, but just tell me what you think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• It's still a home. I think it sounds like a good idea. Besides, you need to do what is best for you and your family. I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thought.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Nope, I don't judge a person on the area they live in. I judge a person on how they act. If a trailer has more space then move in and build your dream house!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't choose where I would and wouldn't live based on what someone else considers "trashy" or because someone might think that I am "poor".  With that said, no I do NOT look down on people who live in trailers, modulars, rvs, whatever the case is.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I dont look down on them. I always hear jokes but in reality now days some of them are really nice. My husband and I live in a nice 5 bdrm house right now, but we have the opposite problem you do. 3 of my 5 kids will be gone out of the house by 2012. Were looking into a manufactured home ourselves because they are energy efficient, within our budget and some of them are in decent little neighborhoods. I say you do whats best for your family and dont worry about what anyone else says. If its in a nice area and new then whats the problem?

Answer by gemgem at 12:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• there are some manufactured houses over here that look like regular houses! just smaller. i wouldnt mind living in them. as long as the neighborhood is nice. which they were all in a really niceee neighborhood. i say go for it!
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 12:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Who the hell am I or anyone else to judge someone based on where they live? Seriously, you do what you gotta do to get to where you want to be. I mean, I'm living with my in-laws just so we can afford a nicer home in a better part of town or we'd be out already if we just wanted to take anything. You're doing the best you can for your family, and that's what counts.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Some are just as good if not better than some "real"homes people shouldn;t judge people on a stupied thing like that it only shows their level of maturity
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We have been going through a nightmare for 7 years with a manufactured home. Yes they are big and some can be very nice. My only thought on the subject is to make sure you know what you can and can not do on any piece of land you buy. Our issue is this home is mil's she bought land and the modular before she knew what the county allowed. She is still not able to live in a brand new modular the county will not issue an occupancy permit until littler minor things are fixed...retaining wall, water tank, pavement, the list goes on. This disaster has literally made her homeless (bouncing from son to son) with a house she can not live in and does not have anymore $ to complete it. This has cost her much more than if she would have bought a stick built fixer upper to begin with or even a condo. It is just her. Your plan sounds perfect, something well worth doing. Rental income is an investment!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No I do not look down on people for living in one. We live in one. Just keep this in mind: they depreciate in value very quickly. We knew this going in and still went with one. gl

Anonymous

• the way they make manufactured housed now they are like a regular house. they use regular windows and drywall and everything. shoot i thought about it ourselfs but we found a deal that was a bit better that we liked. i would go for the land withe a mobile on it. that way you guys can built what you want and still have the nice bit of land. at a much lower price. but just remember when you do sell the mobile you wont get nearly what you paid they dont keep their value well unless you take very good care of it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011