Help my mom smokes and I think that is so bad....

I don't want her to die but nothing will stop her......I keep saying her grand baby needs a grandma but she wont stop....any suggestions?>??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• just talk to her politely and express your concerns.

she's an adult and can make her own decisions though.

Anonymous

• You can't control another person's actions. It is best to express your concerns and be supportive, but to respect her choice, whatever it is.
    Anonymous

• Let me tell you something about the addiction to nicotine. I have suffered from this addiction before, but thank GOD I was able to overcome it!! I smoked no matter how my children begged me to quit. The addiction was stronger than ANYTHING ANYONE said to me. My kids told me smoking made me look low-class. I still lit up. My daughter told me I was signing my own death certificate, because as a diabetic, I was 10 times as likely to get heart disease, lung cancer or emphysema. I still lit up and drew that smoke into my lungs. Finally after I started waking up coughing and having chest pains, I quit on my own and haven't picked them back up.Your mom has to want to quit MORE than she wants to smoke, and may not get to that point until something drastic happens. Not that it HAS to take that but the addiction was too strong for me to break without being scared out of doing it.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 11:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I'm sure she's fully aware of the risks and if that's something she's accepted, then you just have to respect her decisions on it. My mom smokes too and I don't like it...but she's not willing to stop anytime soon.

(I hope you read this MOM! LOL!) --she stalks the site
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• If she doesn't want to quit, there is not much you can do to make her. My sisters and I begged our mother to stop repeatedly, but she never did. She kept smoking after finding out she had emphysema and she kept smoking when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. Some people are just unwilling to quit no matter what.
    Rachael420

Answer by Rachael420 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My mom never stopped smoking. She died of COPD when I was 5 mo. pregnant with my daughter. She was on oxygen & would take it off & go hide in the bathroom to smoke. Smoking was more important then seeing her new grandchild. Very sad but true. Some people never stop even as they are dying. I hope this isnt the case for your family. But as ppl already said, you can't make someone do something. They have to want it bad enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2008