how can i get my 6yrold son that has a.d.h.d to listen to me when i wake him up.

my 6 yrold boy has had a.d.h.d since 3 yrs old,he is in medication,but in the mornings when he gets up to go to school he is not on it so he drives me crazy,does'nt want to eat or brush his teeth he just want to do what ever he wants.

stressoutmomof4

Asked by stressoutmomof4 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try playing simon says and praise him when he does good!
    kaleigh111

Answer by kaleigh111 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Routine, routine, routine! Have him do the exact same things in the exact same order every day. Do it with him and remind him each step. Yes, way more time consuming for you, but it will pay off. After he gets used to it, it won't be about concentration for him, so he won't get distracted as easily until after the neccessities are done.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My 7 yr old adhd son is a slow starter in the morning as well. I agree with the mom who said routine is the key. Put it in writing. Write down the sequence in which things are to be done. Try to keep it simple.
    Get up at certain time or after one wake up call.
    Get dressed.
    Eat breakfast.
    Use the toilet. Brush teeth.
    Make sure the tasks are ones your child can accomplish on his own. Give immediate reward for compliance. Choosing music in the car on the way to school or choosing a favorite snack item for his lunch box. Good luck and be consistent.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my sons the same way in the morning and has adhd. this is what i finnaly found that works for us, he has to be at school at 8:30 so at 6:30 i go in barely wake him just enough for me to feed him his meds (crushed up in applesauce) he falls back asleep i wake him a half hour later he goes to the bathroom then sits in front of the tv and eats breakfast for the next 30 min. after that hes ready to get dressed brush his teeth and get ready and if its a ruff morning i still have some time for meltdown control.
    bittersweet7791

Answer by bittersweet7791 at 1:13 AM on Nov. 25, 2008