• In the Spotlight:

Alcoholism: genetic, learned or a little of both?

Just a question that popped into my head...because my biological father did drugs pretty badly and i have no desire to what so ever and i didnt even know about this until i was about 16 he was not a part of my life.... my husband is an alcoholic and has been to AA before...his father is and alcoholic and so is his grandfather... each child in the generation watched their fathers drink... so in my opinion i think that they could have learned it.... just as if a child had been adopted into a family that did not drink or do any drugs but their bio parents did does that mean that they will drink or do you think that the chances of them drinking is lower because they have not been exposed to to all of their lives? Its just a question that i was thinking about and i want to to hear what other mommys thought about the subject. thanks

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• I think it is a learned behavior.

Answer by louise2 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I believe it is 80% learned,20% predispositioned to risk taking
    I too gre up with raging alcoholics on both sides,but I don't drink at all. I made a conscious decision to not be weak willed like them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• *grew

• Some of both.  It has been proven that people with alcoholism in their family are predisposed to being alcoholics and/or having addictive personalities.  It runs rampant in my family.  The first time I had a drink I couldn't stop, ended up at the hospital.  I have learned over the years not to over do it but I don't drink at all anymore.  I became a very serious alcoholic when my 5 and 3 year old were about 1 and 2.  I don't tempt myself with just having "one" drink.  I leave it alone period and hope to make my children understand that it is imperative that they do also.  I don't think that this happens in all cases.  I don't think that just because someones parents are lushes that means their children will be also.  But I do think it's something every child of an alcoholic should be aware of. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Little bit of both for sure!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It can be both.
    I come from a long line of alcoholics and have done a lot of research on this.
    I have a genetic predisposition to becoming an alcoholic. Knowing this, I choose NOT to drink. There are some who choose to drink anyway.
    Others can become an alcoholic without having the genetic predisposition.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think its both my oler brother is not my dads and he and my younger brother who is my dads well they are both alcholics so i think its both
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think both contribute. I know I have a strong family history of alcoholism, so I try to stay away from it. I grew up watching my parents drink, and I don't want to do that to my body, or do that to my family. There's a TON of addiction in my family of various sorts, so I try to stay away from anything addictive, for the most part.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Both and Neither. Not all alcoholics or addicts are raised around or related to one. However, those who are raised by or related to an addict are more likely to become one. Addiction tends to be linked to other issues, such as depression, which can be genetic. So yes, it CAN be genetic, it CAN be learned and it CAN be neither it can simply be something which happens.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Both, there is a genetic predisposition, wether a child had contact with the addicted parent or not. Strangly children of alcoholics are commonly addicted to chocolate. LOL
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011