Found some bad lyrics

Do you check our what your kids are listening to on their ipods, computer music and music in general? Is snooping a good thing to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Being aware is never a bad thing. I wouldn't snoop in a diary/journal but other than that, it's good to know what is influencing your child

Answer by admckenzie at 1:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I agree with admckenzie--snooping in a diary or journal is off limits unless you suspect something very drastic, but monitoring music is OK.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I know what's on my kid's MP3 players - they load them off my computer and both of them will plug them into their stereos and listen to them "out loud".

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• lol my oldest daughter always called me a snoop. i was very concerned and didn't like some of her friends. So , yes i was a snoop. I didnt snoop with my other too. Never felt i had a reason to. If i found lyrics in a song i didnt like i talked to her and told her why and ask her now to listen to it. she was fine with that . now they are all grown and can see why i did what i did. 2 have children of their own
    Diana K.

Answer by Diana K. at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I generally think it is innapropriate unless you have VERY good reason to suspect something is actually wrong. IF youre doing it to "catch" them at something to get them in trouble than you are just attempting to bully your own child and be controlling. Is being that way ever appropriate?
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 2:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• it's not snooping if you have an open agreement with your kids that anything they are listening to is subject to your listening and approval.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• When did being an active parents become bullying?
    My mom snooped my whole life. Whether she had reason to or not. It kept me in check and mostly out of trouble. But she was always there for me, good and bad, and gave tough love when she had to. My house, my rules. If they have something, are listening to something, or watching something they don't want me to know about, they shouldn't be doing it at all. IMO
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i dont monitor what music she has on her ipod...only the videos....i think that whatever music she wants to listen to is fine....she is 7btw....but thats a personal parenting choice...i dont think its snooping tho
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My kids don't have mp3 players but I don't have to monitor their music because they listen to whatever me or my husband listens to and that is a huge range of stuff from country to heavy metal, alternative to pop...basically everything but kids' music. I'm usually the one that turns on the radio (online radio since we don't have a stereo). If they did have mp3 players I would already know what's on it since me or my husband would be the one putting the music on the thing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011