Apple Pie

I want to make 2 apple pies for Thanksgiving to take to my SO's parents house I have never made pie before. I dont even eat pie. Is it hard to make if you have never made it before. I want to make it from scratch.

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 10:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Food & Drink

• nah its not hard, but since its your first pie ever you might want to buy the crust. the guts of an apple pie are super simple. peeling and coring and slicing the apples will take longer than anything. the apple pie recipe is even on the side of the pillsbury pie crust box lol. I jsut made one the other day with crisp gala apples. they were just a little bit tart, it was the most butt kicking apple pie ever.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Agreed I make pies all the time and I have to say the crust is the hardest part to get right. The filling is super easy. I would probably cheat on the crust too. I have been making pies and homemade crust for a long time and sometimes I still cheat with pillsbury crusts.
    Rishakia

Answer by Rishakia at 8:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I agree with the previous posters...I'd buy the pillsbury crust that you just unwrap and put in the pie plate and crimp the edges.

For my apple pie filling I use 4 Granny Smith apples, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, a pinch of salt, and a couple tabelspoons of flour.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 2:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Thanks ladies.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 7:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Oh and cut up a tablespoon of cold butter into tiny pieces and dot it around inside on top of the apples before you put on the top crust!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2008