Does anyone know how to get hard boiled eggs out of the shell withgout tearing them up?

Some times my eggs will do find and other times I end up with chewed looking eggs. Go any idea's how to prevent this and why do some do it and some don't? thanks, diana

Diana K.

Asked by Diana K. at 2:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Make sure you are using "old" eggs. You want them to sit at least a few days in the fridge before you cook them and a week is better. Also, once they are cooked move them to cold water. It will help the shells come off easier.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Once done boiling/cooking, let them sit in ice cold water for at least 10 minutes. Then peel.
    Anonymous

• After cooking them, run cold water over them, while they are still in the pan, then take the shells off. It's a never fail technique thanks to good ole Rachel ray!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• when I drain them from cooking I put them in ice water. That helps get that skin inder the shell away from the egg. Then I lightly crack it and them rub the egg on the counter between my hand and a paper towel, appling light pressure. Then I try and get a piece off and then rinse under cold water. it helps wash it away instead of picking at it. Hope that helps.
    PS - it goes faster than what it sounds like. Once you get the hang of it, it actually takes less time than trying to peel off each little piece!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 2:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Fresher eggs don't peel well. If I know in advance I want them for a certain occasion, I buy them early. Add a tablespoon of salt to the boiling water. Cool under running water, leaving them in the pan, till you can easily handle them. Crack all over with the back of a spoon. Then roll between your hands and peel them, using a spoon to slip under the membrand. They will usually come off very easy.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• after you rinse them in cold water shake them in pan a few times cracks there shells and loosens them up usually shells peel off very easy saw it on rachel ray
    mom112707

Answer by mom112707 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Totally agree with the others, use eggs that are closer to their expiration date...fresh eggs won't peel easily.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yup.... use older eggs.... I have found this out the hard way! ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I saw this--I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I have hard boiled eggs i will!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dut1b--AgLM

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• use older eggs and put lots of salt in the water you boil them in
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011