I'm pregnant!!!! Now what??? lol

After 7 long months of trying, I finally got that positive test result! Even though we have been trying, there are still a lot of things to consider and have questions about.
My Main concern is what should I look for in an OB? I recently moved to the state of MN about two years ago and I have so far gone through four Drs. (All through Ridgeview and Allina.) I have been extremely disappointed with how my husband and I have been treated by the Drs. They are friendly (well, three out of the four) but their medical knowledge and care are very lacking in my opinion. So now I am faced with looking for someone completely new.

I don't have any friends or family who can give me any references so I'm pretty much flailing around blindly for an OB/GYN.
What are some of your personal tips when looking for someone? I have some that I learned in the past year by going through my Dr's. but any extra advice would be appreciated.
Also, if there is anyone here in MN near Eden Prairie, Minnitonka, Chanhassen (pretty much south of Minneapolis) who might have some references would be awesome.

Gnomeofmyheart

Asked by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would contact your regular doctor (if you like him) and ask for suggestions.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I found mine online. Read through his credentials, researched if he practiced at the hospital of my choice and read reviews online and made a visit. I was also new to the area and no family or friend reviews.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well, as stated lol I don't, I hated them and do not trust them and wont be going back to them.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Comment by Gnomeofmyheart (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Do you have any thoughts on your birth yet? Med free, being able to walk around, etc... Whatever you want I would ask the doc what their thoughts are on those things to see how they feel on the subjects. If you are concerned about having a doc push you into a c-sect ask what their c-sect rate is. Congrats!!

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• @KayGia0704 - What were some things you looked for when checking them out online?

@Charis76 - Thank you! And I do, I have a whole list ready. I've been prepping, I have questions written up to ask the Dr. I want to try for a natural birth but I'm still a tad hesitant about it and want the option of an epidural. What would be a red flag to the amount of c-sections and inducing? I do NOT want to be induced and I don't even want it mentioned unless medically necessary. I've been reading how Dr's have been pushing to induce and what not and that worries me. I've gone through a lot of Dr's that have left bad tastes in my mouth. But I don't know what red flags to look for when it comes to pregnancy.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Comment by Gnomeofmyheart (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Number 1 is that you have to feel comfortable with that dr. My first dr. I felt comfortable with and he was knowledgeable the only fault he had is if I had a question I almost had to tackle him. He would come in do the exam and leave with no questions. The dr. I have know does all of that. Very friendly, knowledgeable, I feel as if he cares, and asks me if I have any questions or concerns. Also, if there is ever any emergency what will this dr. do?

I live in the middle of no where, the closest NICU is 2.5 hrs away. My first dr. didn't take any chances, if he was concerned he shipped me to that hospital, when he was born with problems he did not wait he started making calls and ambulanced him there. The only reason I changed Dr. was Dr. #1 stopped delivering babies.

When I had to change Dr. I panicked and just asked random people from the area who the saw and why.

Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• look online and look at reviews from other people that have had that doctor before, or ask around. you will find a good doctor.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Thanks guys!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Comment by Gnomeofmyheart (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• When I went online I looked at location, credentials and if he delievers at the hospital of my choice and reviews.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011