How and when is a good time to get your child to stop sucking their thumb?

My daughter will be 4 months on the 1st of February. She doesn't like the paci but she sucks her thumb often. She's a good baby, not fussy and sleeps well. Sucking her thumb sooths her and helps her fall asleep and put herself back to sleep if she wakes in the middle of the night.
I know 4 months is still young, but when is a good time to wean her off the thumb sucking? A cousin of mine had a thumb sucking problem until she was in her early teens, and cause of it needed braces. She continued to have security issues; it was like having a baby blanket; with her thumb sucking until she went to college. I just don't want my daughter to go through the same thing.
Any advice??

JenaandSean

Asked by JenaandSean at 2:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My advice is let her suck her thumb. I sucked my thumb up until I was 18 years old! I am now 21, and don't have any dental issues. She will eventually stop, who know's at what age though. It's a comfort thing, and that's what comforts her. Even in my teens when I was upset or sad/mad, I would suck my thumb w/ my blanky. And i'm not ashamed of it either =P
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• when my daughter first discovered her hands/thumbs i would always take the hand away and say "no, we use the pacifier" she's 5 months and still tries it sometimes but it's becoming less frequent
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i sucked my thumb until i was 13, my parents tried everything and i finally stopped on my own because i was getting braces to fix my overbite (which i should have just left in place because now i look like a tranny :p)... i didnt have security issues like her though. my feelings on it is cases like me and your cousin are rare and your DD will stop on her own
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2011