What's your minimum square footage?

I am moving from a 4300 sq ft home to a smaller one due to downsizing. I'm looking at homes that are 1100 to 2200 sq feet. I'm wondering how nuts would I go with 3 children under 5 in such a small space? Then I think they are all over me all day anyway, would it really matter? How small is 1100 sq feet, too small for stay at home mom?

Cabominny

Asked by Cabominny at 2:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We have 5 children at home, take emergency foster placements and have just under 1100 sq ft. We have 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Something that my cousin who downsized from a 4500 sq ft house to about 1100 has said many times is that his family spends more quality time together in a smaller house. In the larger home, they all would spread out and do their own thing... in the smaller home, they are together more and identified more of what's important. I'm also home with the kids and homeschool 1 of them. Our kids' ages are 14y dd, 9y dd, 5y ds, 23m dd, 10m dd.

We don't have a play room - we play in the living and dining room or in the kids' bedrooms. We're short on storage most of the time but we've also learned to get rid of stuff that we don't need.

I think if you manage your time and activities, the smaller space won't be a problem :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• U have to get what u can afford and make it work for u.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have 3 children. We just moved into a 3 bdrm house that is 1135 sq ft and it works just fine for us. My two youngest share a room- we put a gate in the doorway so they can play safely in there and my 10 yr old has his room. Husband and I get our own space when we need it, but yet we don't feel like we're miles apart and lonely. It's comfortable. Not too small.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We used to live in an 1100 square foot home & it was nice; I miss the place. There was plenty of room for each of us to have our own space and we didn't even have a basement. If the place you move into has a basement with a decent yard, you'll be all set.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have 2 kids. We live in a home that has a little more than 1300 sqft. (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms) I feel like we need a bigger home at times. If I had 3 kids, I would go no lower than 1500 sqft. Good luck!
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My house is only 1050. It is only DS and I and I think it is big enough. You are going to have to get rid of stuff to make it all fit into a smaller home, but it is doable.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Our house is 1275 and with a second baby on the way, I feel like we couldn't go any smaller. We'll be buying again in two years and I would really like 2000-2500, but we plan to stay there for the long haul.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• OP, we recently down sized d/t multiple job relocations and the kids moving off to college + the horrible economy...just seemed like a smart financial decision and a good time. We went from 5200 sq ft newer, rural home to 2- 1800 sq ft homes- 1 is older and the other is newer. We lease one and own the other. For me, the hardest part (other than living in 2 locations 400 miles apart)  is the lack of storage space in the older home and the tiny, 2 car garage (we had a 4 car in the previous home). We are remodeling and did a bi-level addition, just to give us more entertaining space. Our homes are coastal and both are tall and thin with tiny yards (which is fine). Being steps from the beach and a nice park, is what matters. It would be harder if our kids were younger, had toys and were only going to get bigger and take up more space-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011