How come??

How come they only thing you hear about on this site, that children are going through is autism?? How about children with CP or any other issues??? Are there even groups for other health issues or just autism??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 2:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I've been wondering the same thing myself.  I am always interested in everything having to do with parenting and what parents are dealing with and I too never hear anything other than about autism.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• There are so many autism groups because the incidence of children being diagnosed with autism is on the rise. There are other groups on CM, though, for children with special needs. Some are disability specific, but most are general special needs groups. If you need support with a child with something other than an Autism Spectrum Disorder, then maybe one of the general special needs moms groups would be helpful for you.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• well as a adult with cp who had it go undiagnosed as a child or at least not actually taken in to get tested for cp i am a little miffed that there is no support groups. I found out last year after an MRI scan of my brain that i have had cp, and that is why i have such a hard time doing certain things even things like walking.
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i dont think autism in on the rise i just think that doctors and other people know what to look for, that they never understood before now.
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Autism seems to be a more common health issue affecting youngsters these days, some people think its from vaccines, some from hereditary and others even think its just doctors over diagnosising. But yes, you will hear alot of stories of autism, the fact is is that because a wider number of kids have this disorder there are more support groups and more people willing to talk about it and seek more help than those who have children with a rarer disorder. If you are worried because you have a child with a different diagnosis but are seeking help, may i suggest building your own support group. It can be free if you choose the right websites to make a blog about, or even a community suport group. Or even start talking about it on here, once one person opens up about the trials of a child with a disorder you will find many come and seek someone to talk to (depending on how rare the disorder is). Go to local hospitals and doctors too
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I know autism and ADHD are the two most often talked about on here. They are just more well known. I created a group for my son's condition on here because it is rare and there weren't any groups about it. If you want to raise awareness about CP start a group yourself, journal about it or ask questions about it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If you need an adult disability support group, but can't find one to suit you here on CM, why not just create your own? I am sorry that you spent your childhood going undiagnosed, but now that you know, you can do something about it & get some help with your needs. I have a disability myself that was not diagnosed until I was an adult, so I know how you feel to some extent, but I'm not bitter about it; I was happy about being able to finally do something about it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• but are people actually going to read the journals or even join the groups??? who knows maybe no one thinks that other health issues are that big of deal..
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• mrssundin, why don't you start a group. It takes people that are interested and concerned to take action. It is not productive to be upset that the people touched and concerned with autism have taken action. Form your group, get involved. Do not wait for others to do it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• oh i am not biter just hoping that other people including kids dont go with out knowing what is wrong, that is the worse part of it.
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011