How do you handle disciplining your grandchildren?

linsey1001

Asked by linsey1001 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Grandparents don't dicipline our children unless we are not around and then they follow the system we set up (no grandparent has ever been allowed to spank our kids - which hacks off my MIL but I really don't care).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Discipline is not just spanking. I correct the children. I tell them when something is not appropriate and talk to them about why. At some ages I have put them in time out. I have removed them from situations where their behavior was not proper. There parents always support my actions. I am very involved with my grandchildren and I play an important role in their lives. They know that I will not support or tolerate improper behavior. But they also know how to play games and joke with me. They love to get me to chase them all over the house or the yard. It is important that we all recognize that grandparents or just that Grand Parents not outsiders.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It depends on what they do wrong and their age. I have grandchildren from 1 week to 21 yrs.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I correct them if need be. I follow the discipline that their parents use (time outs) but rarely need to . They are well behaved and know the rules that have been set out for them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• That's a vey vague question. I don't when the parents are there. But if they are in my home and are doing something that will hurt them or something else, I say , That's against the rules in this house, and hopefully their parents will then step in. I have no problem with my son's daughter. I helped my son raise her, and he had pretty much the same guidelines for her as I did for him. My DH's kids and grandkids have been a problem from time to time. The parents pretty much let the kids run wild, climbing up on the shelves in the refrigerator to get something, jumping up and down on the furniture, screaming at the top of their lungs when they don't get their own way. I let my husband talk to the parents and kids, telling them that our rules may be different here, but we expect to follow them. The kids were fine with it. The parents told me they thought kids should have freedom to express themselves.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well, I'm not a grandma but I expect my parents to discipline my children the same way as I would when they are with them. Same with DH's parents...however...DH's parents never ever discipline...as a matter of fact, they don't know how to tell the kid no. He comes home from there thinking he rules the world!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Now that I have a new daughter-in-law in the picture, I follow her lead with the rules that she has set up. I'm here for the week with my 10 year old granddaughter, and we have a lot of fun together. I don't always agree with DIL's rules, but I respect them. She has my GD's best interests at heart, and it's been hard for her, coming into the picture when GD was 5 years old. I give her a lot of credit, and want to be supportive. I would never do anything to undermind their authority.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• They discipline the same way we do, if they discipline. Usually, the GPs that come around let them get away with anything which doesn't matter to me as long as they are at the GPs house.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Im not a grandparent, but ill tell you from our family, what happens..
    My mother has full authority to discipline my daughter. She knows what is good behavior, and what isn't, and will remove her, put her in time out, or take something away if need be. I have never witnessed my mother being mean or unwarrantedly harsh to my daughter. If i am there, and can, she will let me know what she is doing, but if i am not there, or in the bathroom or otherwise unavailable, she knows what to do. My SO's parents just won't discipline her at all. They feel they get to spoil her, and don't have to do the mean stuff. That's fine with me, but we just don't leave her with them a lot. We are there to discipline because we know they won't. And it doesn't bother us. And my dad, well he just doesn't know how to do it, so he doesn't watch her alone at all yet. Lol his choice.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have 3 grandchildren (ages, 4, 7, & 9). I only discipline them if their parents aren't around. When I do, I discipline them pretty much the same way as I did their dad (my oldest son), who pretty much follows the way I disciplined him. It's never been an issue for our family..
    mamagoose524

Answer by mamagoose524 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011