My 3 year old screams when we bring him out of his crib

Two days ago my 3 year old son woke up from nap and started screaming almost non stop like he was in pain or something at first we thought it was a temper tantrum but it went on for six hours he had no fever rashes or anything and when we asked him whats wrong he just says i cry he calmed down later that evening slept ok woke up occasionally and whimpered still had no fever or anything the next day he woke up seemed fine at6 am at 9 am started the screaming again took him to er the only thing they found was his left eardrum was a little red but it could have been from the screaming he acted fine by the way as sson as we left the house and at the er they gave us a broad spectrum antibiotic just to be sure this is just the first day on it but i worry something serious is wrong any help or advice please

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be what they call anight terror where after waking up from a nightmare they can't let it go.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Why is a 3 yr old still in a crib? The screaming may have been from the discomfort of laying down with his sore ear.
    Anonymous

• it very easily might be a night terror, he would be at the right age and my son when he gets him he wont let us put him down, my husband and i have to take turns holding him what seems like forever and he will stop screaming and just chill out and then he will start all over again when he remembers. Make sure he has something comforting in with him. My son sleeps with a teddy bear that has my scent (it used to be mine as a child) and i give him a sippy cup of water as well something to soothe him if he wakes up. When I give him the bear he pats it and puts his head on it so i know it gives him comfort. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I am surprised a 3-year-old is in a crib -- but I would bet ton the night terror theory -- which could be coupled with an oncoming ear infection. UGH I HATE those! Good Luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• the crib turns into a bed just havent fixed it and im not sure why it matters anyway
    MoMMyto2971

Comment by MoMMyto2971 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011