Flu shot.

So, I am 3 1/2 months. i have not had a flu shot in 15 years.... i have not had the flu for at least 15 years. Im super healthy, never get sick. My doc tells me I HAVE to get the flu shot. The next day, and the last 3 days, I have had the FLU! WTF is up with that? And what can I take? My entire face is plugged up, I cant hear or breath. My body aches so badly... what can a pregnant lady do for the flu??

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 2:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• Speak to your doctor as to what to do to ensure you and baby are fine and healthy. To also make sure whatever remedy you take is not affecting the baby negatively.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• benedryl is fine, i forget what else youre allowed to take though
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My Dr. She told me I was going to die and my baby was going to die if I didnt have the flu shot..I requested another Dr. and DID NOT get the flu shot..for the above reason..You end up with the flu anyways..so screw that..

BUt to help you..try some vapor rub and if ur far enough along ( close or in ur 3rd trimester) my dr. said u can take sudafed..like every other day and only one if its really bad..goood luck
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 3:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Find a new doctor. Someone with a normal, healthy immune system does not need a flu shot.

Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)