Who else has a stubborn child?

My DS is being a butt today. We were going to go to the park and fly his new helicopter but he refuses to pick up his toys. So instead he is sitting doing nothing and being ignored by me. Seriously, he would rather be bored than pick up. I am giving him 5 more min then toys are getting tossed. Anyone else have a stubborn child?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 2:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL I was (am!) my parent's stubborn child. BUT God created me to work with at-risk youth. I promise you if I weren't as stubborn as I am... I wouldn't be successful helping kids. SO, I do have a few that just make me ready to shout and then I try to recall that it's part of who they are. Of course, they must also learn when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em... and have to know who the authority is.... but keep in mind that it could be a key element to the success of the person ultimately :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• not mine, but a grandchild. Be consistent and follow through. As agravating as it is now I think it will serve them well when they are older.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Both my 3 yr old and 18 month old are.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yes, and it's irritating.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ya my son oh goodness, good thing I have a sense of humor, sometimes I gotta hide so I can laugh at his pitifulness
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 2:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Sounds like you are throwing away his toys because you are frustrated. It's too extreme. The very fact that he can't go to the park and have fun is punishment enough. It's his room and if he wants his messy, and you don't like the look of it, close the bedroom door. Pick your battles wisely. In the grand scheme of things, a messy room is not that big of a deal, even though it seems lots of moms on cafemom seem to think so.
    Anonymous

• I have to admit, i could swear that in the dictionary under the word stubborn is a picture of my sons face...If he wont pick up his toys try the barney clean up song..ya know..clean up clean up everybody everywhere....yea make it a game..or say...can you find me all the toys that have the color red! then blue ...or shapes...thatll help him learn and think its a game, makes cleaning up fun and your not at your ropes end!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I agree with picking battles like anon said, but teaching your son responsibility is one battle that needs to be learned. If he insists on wearing a yellow shirt and green pants..then yes let it go, but letting him just be completely careless will teach him nothing. Dont go overboard but i would put the toys in a bag and say when you can show me that you can be the big boy that you are then you will get your toys back, not only is it teaching him responsibilty but safety, that can be dangerous and if you choose to have another one later on and he gets used to allowing all his little peices everywhere that could be a a safety hazard for your new little one.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My 21-month-old daughter is extremely stubborn. She likes to throw and hit, and nothing I do seems to have made any difference yet. She goes in time-out immediately (strapped in her booster seat, since she won't stay anywhere on her own), and she cries and wants "off", but then she'll go right back to hitting and throwing. Every time. Sometimes I'll spend 2-3 hours putting her in time-out over and over again. Still waiting for it to pay off.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My son is stubborn too. He is refusing to take a nap today and is therefore really grumpy, which is in turn making me very grumpy. I just laid him down to try again. Cross your fingers for me!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2011