Has anyone put their kids in Girl or Boy Scouts?

I want to put my daughter in Girls Scouts and I was wondering if any other mom has tried it. If so, how did you like it? Do the kids have to go to meetings every week or how often do they go?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DS was interested in boy scouts because he thought he could sell popcorn and make money. Then he found out that he wouldn't get to keep the money and he was deterred from that. We saw them out picking up garbage yesterday and I told him that's the kind of things they do on Saturdays. He has no interest in it anymore.
    Anonymous

• Both of my boys are in scouts and love it. My daughter was in girl scouts until her leader found out some info. Just google girl scouts and planned parenthood. I know everything on the internet is not true. It's hard to believe all the posts you see, but they can't all be wrong. Just do some research before you jump into it. As far as the boyscouts, they are not against gays. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• We are a Girl Scout family and we love it. How often and what days your daughter goes depends on her leader. I have yet to find a council that is not looking for more leaders so if you a little time you can have your own troop. You can also volunteer with your daughter's troop if you don't have time to lead one. I would be happy to answer any questions you have, just message me (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I wanted to put my children in it when they were older but from what I heard and what the try to teach the kids about discrimination against gays I refuse to put them in it now.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Boy Scouts do not allow gay leaders, Girl Scout do not discriminate.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We have our 8 yr old in cub scouts for the second year and LOVE it! It is very family oriented and our 4 yr old daughter thinks she is a scout too! So much fun! We usually have everything on Thursday nights and I block all the Thurs of the month off 2 meetings are Den meetings, another Thurs there is a Pack meeting and then we got incolved at the Committeee meetings to find out more of what is going on! Many of our sons closest friends and our too are from the scouts!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Do they really discriminate against gay people? If so, then this isn't the program for my family.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• girl scouts doesn't. I was my daughter's troop leader a few years back and she had a great time. We are trying to get her involved again.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 3:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Neither discriminate against any kids, but Boy Scouts will not allow gay leaders. Girl Scouts will allow anyone to be a leader provided they pass a background check (and sexual orientation and religion have nothing to do with it).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i would love to put my girls in girl scouts but i dont know if they have any troops in my area. i went on the website and it said that a counsil was way down south state from us but nothing close to where we are. how can i find out if there is a troop in our area?
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011