How do you cope with the negative people in your life? The ones that you can't change and you have to have contact with them?

What are some of your coping tactics?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 2:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I agree with JJK! You never HAVE to have contact with negative people or let them bring you down, if you don't want to! If the negative people are family, don't pick up the phone, don't return texts, don;t invite them over, don't visit, don't let them invade your space. If the negative people are co-workers, focus on your job, keep small talk limited, and don't get involved in workplace drama!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Distance myself by rarely speaking to them and, when I do, keep it short and to the point..it works well.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• when they start going off on negitive topic or in a specif case of always me my responsse has been a lot of the time lately "well I guess ya better get to fixing that now shouldn't you?" kinda puts a stop to it since I dont poor you it now! I am finding I dont always answer the phone when a certain person calls and I am getting WAY busier than I have ever been where this person is concerned! GL I know it is not a good feeling~
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If they are negative they are not involved in my life, Sorry but this momma doesn't want that kind of people around her or her family... so I say Ignore them , don't give in to their toxic lifestyle.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 3:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• my mom and my sister are very negative people and actually went so far as to try and cause me and my husband to get a divorce the last time we visited them. so i pretty much ignore them and will never visit them again.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Hey you're totally describing my SIL! I just try my very best to be nice to her when I see her. It's hard but I do it for my brother and nephews. I may not like her much but she makes my brother happy so I just put up with it. I don't say anything rude because I like seeing my brother and his kids. Strangers or coworkers I ignore. They're not a huge part of my life so I just pretend they're not there.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I stay away from them unless its absolutely necessary. People can only affect you as much as you allow them to.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Just stay away from them. I dont need negative people in mine or my kids life
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i cut negative ppl out of my life. family or not.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Avoid touchy subjects.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011