How to get a toddler to stop screaming???

My 22 month old daughter screams all the time and for no reason. It doesn't matter where we are at or what we are doing, she will just scream. We have tried tapping her mouth, spanking her bottom, putting her in time out, putting her in her room, and not pay attention to her. But nothing helps. I hope someone has some ideas. We are going crazy. And I feel like I am losing my hearing. PLEASE HELP!!!

yummymummy7

Asked by yummymummy7 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine did it untill i started screaming just as loud,and that stopped her after a few times.she was stunned to realize how annoying it was,and that she wouldnt get anything out of me but a loud scream.she has completely stopped.oh,and she did laugh at me but like i said IT STOPPED
    nav526

Answer by nav526 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Have you tried looking at this website? http://www.babycenter.com/0_screaming_1200985.bc
    tylers07mom07

Answer by tylers07mom07 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My son is 27 months old and I can't take him anywhere for the same reason. I don't know how to stop it either but I do know that it does eventually stop. One trick when leaving the house is to keep something in my purse that I know he REALLY likes.....like a new little car or truck, tic tacs....... I know I'm not being very helpful, just letting you know that you are not the only one and they do go through phases that will pass with a little bit of time.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Do you know why she is screaming? Do you know what she wants or is she just being shrill? If she wants something specific get right down in her face and say loudly "I know you want ___!" Say it a few times until she says "yeah!" Then explain why she can't have it then, or when she can have it or what she has to do first to get it. If she is just being shrill I suggest being shrill right back at her. My son fake cries when he doesn't get something, he fake cries really loudly, but if I do it back to him he stops and laughs.

Obviously these are not guaranteed to work, but suggestions to try. Good Luck.
    SASMommy

Answer by SASMommy at 4:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2008