Support with Dementia

I just found out my Mother has dementia and I feel all alone because my friends' do not have anyone they know who has this and not one of them have called me to see how I am coping with the news, so I am on here reaching out to anyone who will listen and support me. No jokes please, so far I have gotton a lot of them. I do not want links or books or herbs or anything, just support from ones who know a loved one who has it.
Thanks!

kimchimom

Asked by kimchimom at 3:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• I sadly don't have much advice for you except be there for your mom and realize there is going to be some rough days and then there will be glorious day when your mom is completly 'back it's a rough/frustrating disease to deal with(and don't be too proud to get help further down the line ) my MIL had it. Stay strong ((hugs))
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Muster up all the patience you can and know you are doing your very best everytime you are with her. My grandparents had it and now my MIL. Go with the flow. Don't try to make her "see" anything that is minor.........like someone's name etc. Just go with it. It always makes me so sad to see someone trying to make a loved one understand they are getting someone's name wrong. Who cares? (pet peeve I guess). Get down to basics like taking walks together, watching TV together, just being. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Sometimes with my great-grandmother, she would be in the past and I'd just call her Grandmother. I didn't try to force who I was or a memory of the way I was linked - sometimes just calling her Grandmother was enough. She wouldn't have the frustration with placing me - just the comfort that someone who loved her was there.

Now, my grandmother and her sisters weren't always so easy going with it - because it hurt them so much when their mom wouldn't recall them. Sometimes it was odd who she sould recall every time and those she wouldn't.

Now, my 9 yr old is diagnosed with Huntington's Disease and dementia will come within a few years.

My heart aches for you - be patient with her and just love her :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I agree with elizabr. Since you cannot control it, going with the flow of it is best. And since she's not remembering, it'll probably end up bothering you more than her. You are not alone at all. SO many people have had to work with this in families. It happens and you'll learn to cope over time.
    Anonymous

• We have been dealing with my mom's Alzheimer's for close to four years. Feel free to contact me any time.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You'll find this Caregivers Forum very helpful and supportive.  They also have a 24/7 Hotline as well.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011