For those Christians who criticize the President . . .

I find it interesting that several people who are critical of the President claim to be Christians. By "critical", I don't mean "critical of his policies" because I think there's plenty to be critical about. 

I mean by "critical", referring to him with names like "Obummer" or "Ovomit" or "Obozo".  I have even seen him referred to as "Ohomo".  I also mean just being plain flat out critical of the man and of his family

How many of you who criticize the President personally also follow the verse in I Timothy 1:1-2, , which calls for us to pray for those in authority over us? And I *don't* mean to pray, "may his days be few, and may another take his place of leadership". 

(I'm posting this in both Current Events and Religious Debate, because I think it belongs in both places.)

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 3:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you for the reminder that we are to pray for him. That is not something I do. But, while I do not like him as a leader I do respect him for the seat he holds. My children hear my husband and I talk about him (and not in the ways you have mentioned) and they know that we think he is a bad person BUT they also know and tell us in conversation that we still are respectful of him even if we don't like him or agree with him. It is not right to call him names and is not Christ-like to want him dead but not every person who calls themselves a Christian, understand what it really means to carry that name. Lots of people wear lables but that is all they are to them.
    NaturalMommy10

Answer by NaturalMommy10 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I am a Christian and I think our current president is unfit for office. I refer to him as Obama. Who and what I pray for is between me and God and that is where it will stay.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I thought "Ovomit" was pretty funny. I am a Christian and I have a sense of humor. We have them, sense of humors, ya know too? (((Is that better?)))
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I am a Vietnam Veteran, and I find it difficult to have respect for a president, who does not care for this country, or our Military, however I call him Obama. He and his wife, have parties, eat the best, ETC. while our troops get crap out in the field. Our troops have not had a raise since he has been in office.

With as much respect as I can muster, I can not stand him, and I hope he is a one term president. I wish him or his family no harm,
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 4:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I'm pretty sure they can pray for him and call him names, probably even at the same time. "Dear God, I'm sorry for my sins, Please let Ovomit do a better job in office today, save the seals, Amen."

PS, I don't call him names. I call him Obama.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• What about those non Christians who do the same?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• eye rolling

Anonymous

• I'm Christian. I have Christian friends. I've never heard anyone use those names you mentioned at least where I live. I just remember when a Christian makes mistakes like that. Christians aren't perfect. They are just forgiven. It isn't for me to judge their character or the level of their faith. I do appreciate you reminding all of us to pray for our leadership though.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• What would call kids who name call?

Would we take them seriously or reward them?

I do not recall being overly impressed by those biblical characters who taunted JC or his beliefs...I do not remember the priests or nuns (teachers/professors) encouraging us, their students, to look to these indidivduals as Christian role models.

Walking the walk is really hard. Quoting verses and proclaiming your faith much easier, IMO-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Hmmmm, does this also apply to Sarah Palin or is Obama special????

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011