For those Christians who criticize the President . . .

I find it interesting that several people who are critical of the President claim to be Christians. By "critical", I don't mean "critical of his policies" because I think there's plenty to be critical about.

I mean by "critical", referring to him with names like "Obummer" or "Ovomit" or "Obozo". I have even seen him referred to as "Ohomo". I also mean just being plain flat out critical of the man and of his family

How many of you who criticize the President personally also follow the verse in I Timothy 1:1-2, , which calls for us to pray for those in authority over us? And I *don't* mean to pray, "may his days be few, and may another take his place of leadership".

(I'm posting this in both Current Events and Religious Debate, because I think it belongs in both places.)

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 3:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Although I do not care for some of his policies. I do however have respect and honor toward him as our President of the USA.
    I do pray for him and do not call him names or use those that you mentioned. I refer to him as President Obama... it is a sign of respect and honor to address him as the office he is in.
    Honor is huge and it NEVER means you agree with them, but it does mean you honor who they are.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I am a Christian and I think our current president is unfit for office. I refer to him as Obama. Who and what I pray for is between me and God and that is where it will stay.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I'll be amazed if you get a serious answer to this question, especially over in PC&E where the hate runs rampant. You don't have to agree with our president or his policies in order to show him respect. I didn't like Bush but I didn't attack his personal character(He was my Commander in Chief afterall)If I disagreed with a policy I stated what it was and what about it I disagreed with. The way a proper debate should be handled.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We are humans and one bad charateristic is that we judge others.
    Anonymous

• "Will calling him names make the speaker sound like a great intelligence? Someone capable of serious discussion regarding serious issues? Or like a hick who just stepped out of the saloon after a few too many?
    Name-calling (yes, I'm talking about you, Rush Limbaugh) is petty, immature, and lacks both character and intelligence. It is a speaker attempting to first remove the basic humanity from someone, to reduce him to a cartoon caricature so the speaker can feel all superior for being a whole person"

Very well said Linda! i agree that the name calling of the president shows extreme immaturity & lack of intelligence. I did not agree with Bush, but i never EVER called names & made it seem as if he is less of a human being.

OP, that verse has been brought up at my church before. He said if you're upset with the president, then you should be praying for him, not hating him.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I'm a Christian and I don't approve of Obama's policies nor did I vote for him. I don't bash him, either or criticize those who voted for him. Yet, when I was 18 I voted for Bush and get criticized for that every time I mention it to someone. So, politics go both ways.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Astraea.... Yes you can pray for who you want but God encourages us to pray for our leaders.. that includes the President. He is a leader regardless of how good he is or not. Prayer is very important and there is power in praying for those in the government. Those in authority also include our law enforcement, those in the military and even our governors, mayors as well.

God honors those who pray and uplift those over us..... if we continue the path of tearing down our President... what is set in motion is what you reap. If we as Christians could get low and pray and love and honor and walk in grace and mercy... We'd have a dynamic country... sadly many Christians have not gotten a hold of the grace message, the culture of honor message and the love message. Have you ever seen Jesus tear down the leaders of His day? You won't find it.. He honored them.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• 1 Timothy 2
    Simple Faith and Plain Truth
    1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live. (The Message)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• eye rolling

Anonymous

• I find it fairly amazing that anyone who hopes to be taken seriously in any kind of political conversation resorts to what amount to 7yo taunting.

Will calling him names make the speaker sound like a great intelligence? Someone capable of serious discussion regarding serious issues? Or like a hick who just stepped out of the saloon after a few too many?

Name-calling (yes, I'm talking about you, Rush Limbaugh) is petty, immature, and lacks both character and intelligence. It is a speaker attempting to first remove the basic humanity from someone, to reduce him to a cartoon caricature so the speaker can feel all superior for being a whole person.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011