Please help -- one of us is not going to make it -- non-sleeping 9 month old

Not that I will abuse him in any way -- that's not what I mean. And I have a support system to take him during the day if I need someone to. But one of us is going to end up going crazy. My son had been sleeping 9 hours per night, with just the usual wakings here and there, crying out for his pacifier, etc. And naps -- when he was tired enough, I'd put him in his crib and he'd put himself to sleep in 10-15 minutes. But for the last three days/nights, he WILL NOT SLEEP. Sleeps about two/three hours at night, then up for hours. For naps, cries for over an hour if I let him, starts to go to sleep, then starts crying again, standing up in his crib, etc. I've checked everything obvious -- pain, diaper, hunger, etc. He started crawling about three weeks ago, and pulling up on things about two weeks ago, if that matters. My concern is that (1) this is a NEW development - he was sleeping fine; and (2) I can't handle this not sleeping at night. I'm a single mom with a business to run, which is tough enough, then I have some issues with anxiety in general that are under control with adequate sleep, but without adequate sleep, that anxiety goes off the charts.  Why would he all the sudden not sleep???

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a warm bath right before bed, that did the trick for my 2 year old daughter when she was 9 months. At nap time just let him wear himself down until he falls asleep while he is in the crib. That way you have him on a routine and wont get off it.
    megtinkerbell

Answer by megtinkerbell at 4:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Could be growing pains or ear infection.
    That would be my guess call a doctor or see your doctor see what they think
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Teething? Is he eating ok? My dd and ds got hand foot mouth disease, (some call it hoof disease) my ds was fine just wouldn't really eat or drink anything other than milk. My dd on the other hand would sleep for only an hr or two at a time. She didn't get any if the symptoms other than two spots in her feet.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think ur baby is teething too....I agree with taking baby a bath giving some tylenol or motrin and baby oral gel a warm drink of milk and a nice song and rocking
    HayliesMama325

Answer by HayliesMama325 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• the problem is, he won't sleep but an hour or two after I get him to sleep at night. when he used to sleep 9 hours, even while teething. and with naps, I let him cry for almost TWO HOURS STRAIGHT today -- nothing. Never fell asleep. Finally took a nap on the couch with me sitting there with him, but i can't do that for his naps during the workweek, and I can't do that overnight...
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Jill, never get used to a sleeping pattern. It WILL change... and you have to make shifts with it. He may not need to go to sleep when you're trying to put him down.

Do you have a swing or the like for your work times? It could help. Also check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will be better on your anxiety... CIO is an anxiety-creator. (Been there done that and it failed miserably... what worked was watching my son and putting him down when he was sleepy, not before.)

He's changing because it's normal for him to do so, and he just conquered a milestone. It would be unusual for him NOT to change the schedule. Expect it to change again and again and again.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011