Willow Smith and "Whip My Hair"

Do you allow your children to choose their hair style and clothes so that they can express their individuality? Will and Jada Smith said they do allow Willow to have a sense of her own style and find it best to allow her to bring forth her uniqueness. Do you agree? Or do you choose all of your childs outfits and hairstyles?

Watch her video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Entertainment

• To some extent. I let them voice thier opinions & if I approve.. then yes. But letn them have total control.... No. I thnk so. that may come bac to bite u when they bcome teens.
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 4:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i totaly agree w/tiamesmer
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ugh- I hate that song! But as to your question, I think it depends on the age & maturity of the child. And as the parent of a dau, there are certain types of clothing that we would not approve. (ie: Showing too much or those pants w/ the writing across the butt) All kids will go thru certain phases when it comes to hair & clothes- just so how they look on the outside doesnt reflect a loss of morals & overall values on the inside, I'm fine w/ some freedom of personal expresson.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• They do have a say but mommy gets the final choice in the end. It doesn't surprise me that willow and jayden are already following in their parents foot steps. Pretty much everything stars do these days shouldn't be a shocker. For instance it was no shock that Dakota fanning was crowned homecoming queen for the 2nd year in a row at her school, also no shock that Jlos 2 year old twins are the new spokesmodels for baby gap, a regular kid didn't have a chance against Jlos twins....
    MyOpionCounts

Answer by MyOpionCounts at 4:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• mine is 4 so not really plus he is a boy so he dont care what he wears but he does like to get his hair cut in a mo hawk
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 4:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think to a certain extent so that the kids can learn to be independent, but I think that her hair is a bit grown-up for her age.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Right now my children are too young. They're one and two and could really care less what is put on them or how their hair is styled. However, as they get older I will give them all the say that they want. I am all for having my children express themselves. Clearly there are limits as to what they can wear and what style they choose. If it goes against school policy, is too provocative, or just in other ways inappropriate they won't be allowed to wear it. Otherwise they can express themselves as they see fit.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• That song is so annoying!

To answer your question, he can pick what he wears to school because there is nothing in his closet that I don't approve of. He is only 5 right now and doesn't really care. He gets no say in hairstyle right now but he doesn't care anyway.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Im with the others who said that song is too much. Thank goodness my kids dont listen to that stuff. Everything within reason, but probably not dipping hair in paint and whipping it back and forth,,,lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• hate that song. Aside from the hair thing, i watched an interview where Willow and her parents talked about how they (parents) don't believe in discipline, and their kids have the free choice to do anything they want. They treat their kids with as much diplomacy as if they were peers or adults. Don't agree with that parenting style.

my son can wear his hair and clothes how he wishes....to a point. I don't mind styles, but as long it is clean, not too outlandish, and the clothes are (in my view) appropriate, then he can express himself all he wants. He's pretty easy right now though, and he doesn't care! he likes his hair short. If we were to disagree though...well, i'm the adult, it's probably going to be my way.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011