If you could teach you child(ren) about TWO major things in history, what would it be?

momma2JD

Asked by momma2JD at 10:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• about Hitler and his genocide campain - how it was bad

about America's history of racial segregation - how it was bad

Anonymous

• The civil war and its causes.

The first settlers to America and their real effect they had on the native americans.
    lizardgal

Answer by lizardgal at 10:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The underground railroad and it's MAJOR significance

The horrid outcome that was to be had (mistreatment) on the vets who came back from Vietnam... There are many more...

Anonymous

• Eep, I don't know! World War II and it's issues for sure...I don't know, maybe the Cold War, since it seems so likely that we'll have another one?
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I dont think that i could choose just TWO. So many things have shaped our country. I would tell him about the the importance of Independence day.. why we celebrate it and so on. I would also tell him about civil rights movement of the 60s.oh jeeze... there are so many more.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The entire Bible for one...not sure for what else...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would teach about the World Wars and the Revolutionary war. The Revolutionary war because it was about striving for freedom from opression and tyranny. The world wars because it was a huge huge huge part of world history.

DH said civil war and world wars, civil because it was a major part of our history fighting for freedom as well.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would want my kids to know just what an amazing feat it was for the men and women who founded this country...and to never disrespect that or the men and women who maintain our freedom. I would also want them to know just what power someone who is filled with hate can have when people believe in them...how close Hilter almost came to pulling off his scheme of hatred...how Binladen gets people to kill themselves and others in the name of hatred disguised as religion. Mostly that it does not cost any of us anything to be kind.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• About slavery and how Abraham Lincoln freed them and Rosa Parks so they will see that we are all the same and none of us are better than others nor do we deserve to be treated as such. I would also tech them about the men and women who defend our freedom so they have a better understanding of how and why they should be grateful for them.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2008