What methods do you use to teach your 4 yr old the alphabet and numbers?

just wondering what you are doing at home because we seem to struggle with this with her and her school doesnt seem to help! we are doingflashcards work books, sheets, bean weiting playdough and will try shaving cream tomorrow....

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 4:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I sing the abc song to my kids,& i sing it just randomly then they sing along,when i only had my oldest at the time he would sing it back to me so when he went to school he caught onto it more, but every child learns in a different way, my now 2 yr old cant seem to get it just yet, i contiue to sing it though.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• well I have a four year old son and he learn his letters on his own from this laptop he had around 2 numbers have always been a little harder. we used flash cards but mostly just counting through out the day and him having to count to get things he wants. right now we working to 30. he cant seem to remember 13 tho
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 4:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You are doing all the right activities. I would advice doing one activity every day, probably the flash cards. Sing the alphabet first and at the end. then do the cards, saying A ah Apple...get it letter, sound letter makes, and the picture on the card. It's a consistent predicatble activity that helps them learn to remember it. This is what I do with my 1 and 2 yr old. When I taught preschool this is what we did. Kind of same premise for the nubers then as well. You can always do a fun activity following the normal routine then. And try to add it into your routine, after dinner, before dinner, after snack....but by doing it at the same time every day they also know it's just part of the routine.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We've been teaching our 2yr old numbers and letters. Dr Seuss's ABCs, magnetic alphabet for the fridge, and even foam sponges for the bathtub. If she's having trouble, work on 3 letters at a time. A, B, and C. Once she has those down introduce a couple more and so on. For numbers, DK: My First Book of Numbers, 10 Tiny Puppies, 5 Little Ladybugs, and we even just use our hands. For numbers books don't just read the book but every time they introduce a new number say "2 little ladybugs drinking up dew" we point and count the ladybugs. Hope this helps
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I know it is frustrating but don't give up be consistent with your methods. Try finger painting with her and using washable paints or crayons to use to draw them on the tub walls while she is taking a bath. For counting I use things like cheerios, m&ms, cheezits pretty much anything that can be used to help count and when they get it right they get to eat them of course.
    MyOpionCounts

Answer by MyOpionCounts at 4:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• There is a CD called "Sounds Like Fun" by Discovery Toys that has great songs for preschoolers (ABC, days of the week, months of the years, etc). The thing I like about their alphabet song is that it goes over the sounds the letters make. My kids always learned their alphabet just from their environment - looking at letters in the grocery store, on signs, and from Sesame Street! Same thing with counting - we would count the stairs when going up, count how many crackers, etc. I think they learn more from play than from flashcards or anything structured.

Answer by missanc at 4:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It's all about being repeditive and having fun. If your child isn't interested then they're least likely to learn the subject matter. I have a two year old who can count to 10 and recognize some numbers. Recognizing numbers is more from the TV shows he watches, though I do point them out when we see them. He knows his alphabet, but still has trouble singing them in order. I've been singing the alphabet to him since he was born, just as a song to sing when he was fussy. Knowing that the repedetive nature of me singing it would help him memorize the song. He can recognize most of his letters from us playing with his letter blocks, his letter magnets, and the shows he watches.

Children learn more through play and TV/Movies they enjoy then through classroom-type learning. Again, if it doesn't interest them then they're not going to want to learn. Which puts up a road block for you both.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My son learned his colors and numbers from Thomas the Train! It made it fun for him because he loves Thomas. He still has a hard time with his letters. He knows the alphabet but he doesn't recognize all the letters when he sees them. You have to make learning fun and then he'll want to do it more.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Have you tried the new "Scribble and Write"? It only cost like $20 and it is very cool! It has helped my 3.5 become more interested in the ABC's and also walks them thru step-by-step to writing each letter by tracing! Try it out!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Try http://www.starfall.com :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011