Potty training a 2yr old boy

I understand the concept of potty training but when it actually comes to it.. I have no clue. During the day I put my son in big boy underwear. He has no idea when he has to pee so when he pees in his underwear I wait until he feels uncomfortable, I sit him on the potty for a few minutes then change his underwear. He peed in the potty once (he has a bad diaper rash so I let him go without his diaper but had him sit on his potty while he watched a movie. He told me when he was about to poop.. as soon as he said poopoo he plopped one on the carpet. I rushed over and told him to sit on the potty to poop.. not much was left in him but the remainder went into the potty. Since then, he's peed on the floor 3 times and in his underwear just as often. What else should I be doing? Any tips for me? I'm clueless!!!

alinker

Asked by alinker at 4:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put cheerioes in the pottie and tell him to sink them. Also try to let him go on the big potty. My daughter did not like the pottie but would go on the big potie.
    megtinkerbell

Answer by megtinkerbell at 4:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We are teaching him to pee sitting down so he doesn't get confused between standing up to pee and sitting to poop.. it's just sit down
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• He is doing well. Watch him carefully for the signs he needs to poop. He is getting there but doesn't have enough warning yet. Take him regularly to the potty to see if he needs to pee. Set up some rewards and there are some cute books out there too that might help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I put my son on the potty every hour to two hours, whether he goes or not
    Lizzy_B_1202

Answer by Lizzy_B_1202 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We read books while sitting on the potty. This gives them the opportunity to relax and also gives them some time to handle their business. Good luck.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I use a routine of the "normal" times to go potty and ask throughout the day, but I do not force him. Morning before and after sleeping, before going out or bundling up
    miraclemom914

Answer by miraclemom914 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• WE MADE IT INTO A GAME OF FUN WE PUT CHEERIOS IN THE POTTY 3-4 AND HAD HIM AIM AND IT DID THE TRICK ..GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS
    momofrsd

Answer by momofrsd at 9:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011