Where to begin with scrap booking?

I want to start the process of organizing and scrap booking years of family pictures and slides. I am overwhelmed!!!
Plan to go to a Creative Memories workshop soon and what do I start with?
Thanks

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• All I can say with scrapbooking, if it's the traditional scrap booking where you are adding all kind of boarders and stickers and stuff, it gets expensive! If you have a ton of pix you jut want organized they do sell albums that have places on the side of the pictures to write a caption, who is in the pic, whatever info you want to write down. I got several of mine like that at walmart or kmart. even target.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I started by separating all of my photos by year, then grouped them by activity or event. This gave me a good idea of how I would be laying out my pages. Once I knew how I wanted to put my photos together, I picked albums that fit my themes (you can set up you albums by themes like school days, holidays, vacations, family gatherings, sports, etc. or by person or by years ~ I do them by years), then papers & embellishments that would fit my photos/themes. For supplies, I started with one album & extra pages, decorative page papers, embellishments, glue, photo corners (clear & bronze) and a cutter. As I became more comfortable with what I was doing, I added more stuff like punches, different types of glues, shape cutters for photos, etc. If it all still seems overwhelming, you could always just buy a themed kit that has everything you need already coordinated & ready to go. Have fun!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Oh, and to get supplies on the cheap, wait until JoAnn Fabric or Micheal's has a sale or coupons, if you have one near you. I've even found embellishments and papers at places like Big Lots & Ollie's for really super cheap. The hard part is sticking to a budget when you see something really cute.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The Mall offers scrapbooking classes from cards to books tags, etc.....
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• First step is to organize your pictures. Next step is to either go to a beginner class or look online at examples of pages to get your creative juices flowing. Good luck....I love scrapbooking!
    hopeym23

Answer by hopeym23 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I thought i answered this but i don't see my answer. if you want to do it cheap or practically free here is what i do. you need an album and that i can't get free so that's the practically. lol use cards, wrapping paper,etc. cut out stuff you want from them. use ribbons or buttons,etc for decor. , cute out white card board from tissue boxes or whatever boxes. you can use wrapping paper for backgrounds or cute out pics. double face tape or use those little corner things to hold pics. if u use double face it will ruin your pics if you try to take them off. so keep that in mind. i went to michaels craft store and found an isle of clearance stuff. i stocked up on stickers to use. they where on 10 cents a pack! then put together however you like
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011