S/O from scrapbooking question below:

I've always been interested in starting up scrapbooking, but find it to be such an expensive hobby. Are there ways to keep the cost down, but still come out with nice scrapbooks? Certain places to shop for all your needs? Ways to cut back on stamps and such?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• you can start with just the albums and place your pics... then embellish them later, as you find stuff you want. I used to do this when I first started, I'd used colored card stock paper and only buy it on sale at Michael's and AC Moore. I'd do a lot of layering of papers. I have slowly gone back and added to those pages.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I do all my scrapbooking on the computer with photoshop elements. The digital stuff is much cheaper and can be used over and over plus you can find tons of free stuff all over. Then I either print the pages out (8x8) or have them printed (places like Costco and Walgreens and stuff will print them and you can send them online and then pick them up) or I have them printed right into books (there are many companies that do this). It's fun, cheap and no mess to clean up. (my background on my homepage is made up of a bunch of scarpbook pages I've made).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I go on amazon for good deals on scrap supplies. Also I look at Joann's an Michael's ads for good deals. Never buy anything full price. Both stores have 40% off stickers, stamps, albums and paper often! I use the clear stamps with the blocks you can place them on. The wooden ones take up so much room. I also have the Cricut, expensive, but I got it on amazon for a great price. Also look in your neighborhood for a scrap store. They often have crop nights where you can go and scrap at the store. Usually a same fee, but you can use their die cut machine for free and get ideas from others. They also have a store filled with things you cna buy and use!
    For starting, take a group of pics, like a trip, and start there. Focus on that one thing and only get things you need for it. Start small and grow with it if you like it!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 5:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ebay has lots of supplies and great costs. Also stores like Michaels chiange their dollar bin each week and there are always scrapbook items there. You can make lots of cutouts of your own. If you have a Michaels or A.C. Moore in your area they have weekly 40% off coupons that you can get in your paper or from their site ( if you sign up ). Some Walmarts have huge scrapbooking departments. All depends on the area.. Once you buy one item you like, trace around it and make copies or a pattern so you can use it later in different colors and patterns.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have done scrapbooking for years. I usually buy most of my items at Wal-mart, I find they have less expensive items, but so does Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby often has their scrapbooking items at 50% off. Also, I go to Target and check their clearance section. I once got 5 post bound scrapbooks(the ones you can add extra pages to) for $5.25 each-which is really cheap. There are also lots of websites that you can download templates from, etc. Just google scrapbooking, or scrapbook templates, etc. I hope that this helps you some. I know scrapbooking can be expensive.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do "Digital" scrapbooking... which means all my things can be used over and over again, I can multiply how many times I use it in a picture, and the list goes on!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I did scrap booking 33 yrs ago when my daughter was born. i used wrapping paper, pictures off old cards, made little signs with pretty markers on card board from any food box that is white on the inside. I covered a cheap photo album with fabric and decorated it with bits of lace and ribbon i had left over. i made a picture frame out of card board from a cereal box, covered it with fabric and glued it to the front of the album. leaving the top open for inserting a card or pic. i put a copy of her birth announcement in mine. i did this for all my kids and family members too. i keep old cards of any kind. gift bags that are to messed up to use again. u can cut pictures off them. i have used buttons, silk flowers, cording. etc. all this was stuff i had. i go to dollar general store and buy those 3 ring binders that have the clear envelope front and backs. u can slide pics in there and buy the plastic picture sleeves to go inside
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 1:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011