Dental question

A piece of my molar broke off last night. Were it broke left like a super rough area that keeps scratching my tongue. I can't go to the dentist until Wednesday at the earliest. Any idea as to what I should do special for that tooth till then? Or has this happened to you?
(i was eating a take 5)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• This has happened to me and the roughness went away
    Anonymous

• did you go to the dentist? What did they do/say?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ouch, yes this has happened to me but I've never had to wait that long to get in. I don't know what you can do. Maybe you'll get lucky and a dental hygenist or better yet a dentist will see your question :) GL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The weird thing is the breaking didnt hurt and im in no pain other than the scratching
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Happened to me more than once. After a few days, especially if it doesn't hurt and you're able to eat on it, the sharpness will wear down and not scratch any more. You can try getting some of the wax stuff that people with braces use (I got it at wal-mart in the dental care section, by the floss) and putting a small peice over, but it doesn't stay on very well, especially to eat. I never went to the dentist either just for that. One thing you can try is rubbing your finger over the spot for a while to gently wear it down just a little, or if it doesn't hurt, crunching an apple or carrots or something else that's harder.
    Anonymous

• why would it just randomly break though? I fell so trashy and idk like i'm gross cuz this happened
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Its likely that the tooth was already having issues and needed repair. When were you last at the dentist? If the pain is bearable then you should be ok to wait until you get to the dentist and see what they say.
    BBsMomSuzi

Answer by BBsMomSuzi at 7:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I had my lower left molar break 2 wks ago, I was eating a tootsie roll and felt a 'stone'. Spit it out and found the cusp of my tooth. The filling was still intact and left a very sharp edge. Luckily there was no pain, and I was able to go in to the dentist the next day. He took an xray and I was given the option of doing a buildup/filling or putting a crown on and I went with the crown. Turns out it was a good choice as there were some tiny fractures in the tooth and 1 broke off when he was working. Plus if he did a filling there was no guarantee on how long it would hold up (last). I go in this week to get the permanent crown put on.
    I would suggest going in as soon as you can to the dentist and do not ignore this as the tooth could break more or get worse and then you could end up loosing the tooth or have a much bigger problem on your hands.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I just had a check up in December with a cleaning and got a clean bill, like no cavities
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011