When did you put your toddler in a booster seat?

We have a booster seat ready to go for my son who is 2 years 7 months (almost 2 years 8 months) and he is 32 pounds, 35 inches. His booster says it was can being use at 38 inches...but we've already tested it once or twice for very very short rides. I have a 5 point harness in my car and the one that was in my husbands car is now in my school van since my son comes with me.

I've been toying with the idea of moving him permentaly to the booster in ym husband's car because he does well and fits nicely...but it still makes me a little nervous and I wanted to know how long other parents waited for this milestone.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 4:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I didn't move my oldest to a booster until he was 5 and weighed 40 pounds. My youngest is still in a carseat with a higher weight limit. He's nearly 5 and weighs 42 pounds. Even though your son is getting close to the weight/height his skeleton is still that of a toddler, the 5 point harness is much better at this point.

The law here is also that that they have to be 4 years old AND 40 pounds, not 4 years or 40 pounds.
    BBsMomSuzi

Answer by BBsMomSuzi at 4:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You need to check out your state laws. In Indiana your child has to be 40 lbs and 4 y/o or you can be ticketed.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• They are supposed to be 40 lbs before they go into a booster. My 4 1/2 year old, just went into a booster about 6 months ago. He finally hi 40 lbs.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I would leave him in the 5 point harness. The minimum booster requirements are 4 years old and 40 pounds. Your child would not be protected if you got in an accident. I have a 2 year old as well. He's 35 pounds and I forget how tall but I know that he is WAY too little to be riding in a booster.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have been dying to put my 3.5 year old who weighs 37 poinys in one -- but have waited -- Its better to be safe than sorry!!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• not sure OP! My son will be 3 in April and still sits comfortably in a convertible seat
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My daughter is 38 inches and still sits in a car seat. My state law is at 45lbs they can go into a booster.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• okay thank you!
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011