my 2 1/2 year old wont nap

She just wont nap, and by 5pm shes a wreck what should I do?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What a relief to see I'm not the only one. My DD stopped napping at 2 years old much to my dismay. She is 2 1/2 now and like your daughter come 5PM or so she was a maniac because she was over tired. I kept getting advice from anyone I asked about this to make her have quiet time instead so she at least gets some relaxation in. So now around 2PM (her old nap time that I miss so much lol) she often goes in her room on her, puts on her bedtime CD of lullabies by Bob Marley for kids and sits in her rocking chair with her blankie and some books. She'll sit there for a good 30-40 mins quietly unwinding and its helped out immensely. On days that she doesn't want to do that I let her lay in my bed and allow her to watch a half hour show, a few times here and there she's actually fallen asleep like that. As long as she's sleeping 12-14 hrs at night and gets some quiet time I bet she'll do much better come 5PM :) Good luck!
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 11:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• make her have quiet time ever day -have her lay down on the couch or a bed with a blanket or stuffed animal or whatever and watch a movie-she gets to pick it and has to lay there until it's over

both my kids decided they were done with naps by 2 1/2 : /
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I work with two yr olds and all of them take a nap we put them down around the same time everyday I had this one child and she woudnt take naps so I would play with her hair while she layed on her cot and it worked it helps if they are up early in the morning and morning outside time helps them fall asleep faster cuz they are tired good luck
    cinderella86

Answer by cinderella86 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Both my kids gave up their naps at age 2. It was a few days of transitioning when they were really tired but it got better. you might try a quiet time after lunch.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Can you lay down with her? I would put my DD in my bed and we would nap together.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011