how do you get your teen to do his/her personal hygiene

neng999

Asked by neng999 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If they are a teen then they are on their own. I would embarrass the hell out of them if they aren't bathing or using deodorant (like who smells--and then sniff everyone in the room and point out where the stench is coming from), but not in front of their friends. This worked for me, my SO and our friends kids. Amazing how many parents have the same idea about how to get their kids smelling better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• that has never been an issue for us. our kids have always played sports so the I never had to insist that they shower.... they WANTED to.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Had that problem with my 16 yr old son, finally me embarrassing him and buying what he wanted he has been pretty good with hygene. My 2 daughters I have to pry out of the bathroom so I can use it lol
    kathier

Answer by kathier at 9:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I leave it up to him. He is 14 and I can't get in the shower or force him. If he wants to stink, that is his choice. Trust me, peer pressure will work to my advantage on this one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• bribery: if they don't, it's reason enough to have their allowance revoked and tv/computer time VANQUISHED!!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 10:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• buy them the stuff show them how to use it after that its up to them
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 8:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If they are not interested in stayin clean and smelling good how are they ever going to date, lol.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I believe embarrasment is one big one. No one wants to be embarras in front of people about how they smell. My 8 year old I had to start with him early because he would stand in the tub than said he took a bath. So we talked, I brought him some smell goods to make him feel like a big boy, and last i started letting him use the shower. He loves it. Influence as well. My neighbor's son is 12 and has a big influence on my son sometimes. He always took care of his body, so I would use him as an example and it works. Good luck!
    ladynell4god

Answer by ladynell4god at 3:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my son stopped showering on a daily basis. His excuse was too many girly smelling stuff in his bathroom. So Iwent out and bought a ton of man stuff handed it over to him. Said your excuse is no longer valide. Either wash yourself or I will wash you. He now showers pretty much daily. : )
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011