Does anyone know anything about showing dogs?

I would like to get a show quality dog and show it. I don't even know where to begin. Any one show or know someone that does? Any suggestions? thanks

Diana K.

Asked by Diana K. at 5:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pets

• where do you live and what breed are you interested in?
    Anonymous

• Go to the American Kennel club site, they will have a list of breeders in your area. Or you can google and see who shows the breed of dog you are interested in showing. Contact the breeder, most of them are VERY happy to give tips, show you the ropes, classes and what not.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Some breeds are better than others for novice handlers to handle in the show ring. What breed are you looking at? There is an International Kennel Club show in Chicago the last weekend of Feb. every year. That is a great place to meet some of the better breeders and handlers and gather information on breeds.

First step is to decide on the breed. Second step is to register with the breed club in your area, if possible. So you might find the breed club and get acquainted first, then they can help you find the best puppy for show purposes as well. If you don't have a breed club, then you need to find a really good breeder who can also provide assistance and show you the ropes.

Also, don't rule out performance sports, where you can compete for working titles with your dog, there is more to dog showing dogs than just conformation!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have two Whippets and I'm a member of two online Whippet message boards. There are lots of breeders and showers on those boards. If I wanted a show quality Whippet and to get into showing, I would start by finding a breeder/shower in my area and I would start tagging along at shows and let that person know I was interested in getting a show pup to show. Then I would wait until they had a litter and buy one of those pups and then start training them and use the breeder as a mentor. Be warned, though, the show world is not for the faint of heart. You definitely need thick skin for it! Some breeds are worse than others.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Before you even get started you have to know that showing a dog is EXPENSIVE. There is the cost of the dog, then vet visits, you need show equipment like a dryer, combs, shears (scissors), show entry fees, gas, lodgings, meals at shows.

It is also very political....meaning, you could have the best looking dog out there, but because you don't have a professional handler at the end of your dog's lead, you may have very little chance of making it to the "big one" (meaning groups and beyond). Most people with show dogs hire professional handlers for this exact reason. My dog is a rarebreed champion, I did it myself, showing with a small rarebreed club.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I hope, one day, to get involved in showing with the AKC and CKC but I need to "hone" my skills first and make sure my dog is ready and I am ready myself.

Most reputable (meaning not backyard or pet store) breeders WILL NOT give just anyone a show prospect dog out of the blue. I researched for four years, went to seminars, befriended breeders, spoke to handlers and owners BEFORE I made the decision to go ahead and show.

You definitely have to have a thick skin to show....it's fun, it's addictive and it's incredibly satisfying knowing that you did it on your own. (my boy finished with me at the end of the lead in one weekend at just 13 months old). It was amazing....
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I was an understudy for a breeder for 4 yrs. before getting my 1st show dog, an Dogo Argentino. I helped at shows, at his kennels, assisted in whelping and sat in on potential buyers interviews. It was great fun! Showing is a very expensive and most times long adventure. Tough skin is a plus as alot of show people are evil! My girl is an World International Champion. I also was a trainer/handler for 5 Dogos that were not mine over the years and also showed my Fila Brasileiro.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 8:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011