i am going to try to get my 3 year old son in pre k what all did everybody do to get there child ready for school

baby_doll929

Asked by baby_doll929 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The only thing you NEED to do to prepare them for a preschool program - make sure they are fully potty trained. That's it!! Preschool is and should be about SOCIALIZATION!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• At three I didn't do any prep other than always talking about numbers, satisfying his curiosity about letters and how things were spelled, plus reading to him a lot. He went into nursery school then for 2 years.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• thats one of the reasons im wanting him in school so he can be around kids his own age so maybe he will learn thats its ok to be away from mommy for just a few hours
    baby_doll929

Comment by baby_doll929 (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• you may want to check into seeing if he can visit the school before you actually start going
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I took my dd to a private morning pre-k program. She was there from 9-12 every day, which gave me time to get things done and her time to spend socializing with other children. Their only requirement was that she was potty trained. I did work with numbers and letters, which was reinforced by the teachers there.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Other than talking about him going to school, I didn't do anything to prepare my son. I did take him one day before school started to see the classroom and meet the teacher. I took a few pictures and posted then on the fridge so we could talk about them (include playground pics if you can). In our preschool, he didn't need to be potty trained, just needed to be in pullups. Requirements on potty training vary a lot so check when you're looking at schools.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I didn't do anything. Other than making sure they were completely potty trained.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have always worked with my little girl, she knew most colors and numbers when she started preschool. She loves being around children her own age, our only problem is that she is having trouble adjusting to the structured enviroment. Good Luck!!!
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my son is 3 and will be going to prek in aug, he reconizes most letters and numbers up to 10, reconizes shapes, colors and is potty trained. It was manly my son who wanted to learn all this, he tells me almost every day "write letters" "abc's" "numbers", ect. we have flash cards and stuff for him that makes it fun
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My daughter is a year old, she knows so many words, letters, colors, we read all the time. She is very independent and great with her hands when it comes to putting blocks together, cordination. Doctors told me she is advance and may be skipped to kendergarden or 1st grade instead of Pre-K :)
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 11:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011