What would you do?

I had my daughter 2 1/2 months ago. Her father was never there through any of it, denied being her father and has treated me horribly through it all. He and I had a child support hearing on Thursday. He was ordered to pay $377.61 to me every month for his daughter. He wants me to call and get it lowered to $250 a month because he doesn't want to pay for her. If he was being decent to me and his daughter I would consider it but he has been so vile towards us both. I am a young, single mom and I just want to know what you other moms would do.

Thank you!

vmoneyb7

Asked by vmoneyb7 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't lower it. Being a single mom is hard and you will need that money to help your daughter.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Like you said, if he was being decent I'd consider it. But if that isn't the case why do any favors for him? Unless you don't need or want his help.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Make him pay. It takes two to make a baby.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I would not get it lowered! Babies are expensive and even though he is being a nice guy now that could change anytime and remember it did take 2 to get the baby here and he needs to help! Its sad that he doesnt want to! He'll be missing out in so much! Children are a wonderful addition to your life!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i agree that you should consider it if he was a good dad! it the law dude just pay it or you'll go to prison
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 5:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• don't lower it, its barely nothing at all to begin with
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 5:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i dont think you can just choose to have it lowered. it's a portion of his income
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Do not lower it. You will need every penny!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• DON'T DO IT. Even if you don't need it now, someday you will, when she's in HS, driving, college. That's not that much to pay. I know it's hard sometimes b/c you clearly have a good heart, but don't do it. It will be that much harder later on to raise it if you need it.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well depending on your state it is not your say at all what he pays it is simply the courts decision. I would tell him he needs todiscuss all legal matters with your lawyer and give him your lawyers phone number and let your lawyer know what he has requested and that you are giving him the lawyers number.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011