Why does my 2 1/2 yr old cry on the potty?

We are trying to potty train and every time I place her on the potty she starts to scream bloody murder. I don't understand what the problem is. How can I help her be more comfortable with the toilet?

MrsNewman

Asked by MrsNewman at 5:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She might be afraid or does not really understand. She may not be ready. Google "toilet training readiness"
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Is she afraid of falling into the toilet? Is she constipated? There could be something she does not feel good about. Is she eating fruits and veggies to help keep her regular?

I would make sure she is not ill or constipated. If she is the treat that. Otherwise, be patient, she will get the idea soon enough. She may not be mature enough to handle it just yet.

Good luck to you both. Remember, be PATIENT, it will get better.
    Anonymous

• constipation? if she's blocked up and it hurts when she poops the potty can be terrifying.

Also it's just a new thing and it's weird, awkward, scary. Like if you at 25 or however old you might be were suddenly being directed to poop in your pants or in a diaper. It's confusing and bizarre and different and new.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Try making it a different experience. I got the book Once Upon a Potty (girl version) for my dd. Every time I took her to the potty, I went with her and sat down and read the book to her. She became so interested in the story that the potty was no longer an issue. Worked like a charm! You can buy it at any of the larger book chain stores.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It sounds like she is not ready.

Take the potty into the front room. make it into just another piece of furniture. Let her sit on it while watching tv, playing, let her put her dollies on it so she plays potty time.

Our potty sat in the front room for almost 6 months before she would use it as a chair and then another month before she would sit on it to potty.

If she associates the potty with a traumatic event, then it will not make it easier. don't force her to sit on it, let her make the decision to sit on it and go from there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• She's not ready. What we did was kept trying to put our son on once a day at the same time. If he protested, we gave up and waited for the next night (we did it after dinner, before bath). At first he'd only sit with his diaper on, we eventually got him to sit without a diaper. Eventually, he got the point where he'd sit willingly and usually pee, that's when we started training. For what it's worth, he was 3 before we got to this point and we started around 2 1/2. Whatever you do, don't get mad. That will just make it worse.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My cousin had her son completely potty trained when they went on vacation this past summer. While out and about they were in a restaurant with automatic flushers on the toilets. That terrified him and he refused to use another toilet besides the one at home. Other than that, I would have to agree with the other moms and say she isn't ready and don't push her, it will happen soon enough and she won't go to school in a diaper. Good luck.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I had the same problem with my son. I found part of his potty chair that would pinch his bottom when he sat down.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• She probably isn't ready. If she is staying dry for long periods of time, her body is ready. But if she isn't mentally ready then there isn't much you can do but talk to her about it. I work with children between the age of 2.5 to 3.5. I see it all the time. There are childrens books about potty training. You can go shopping for big girl underwear and let her pick out what she would like. Let her feel like she is making the choice to be potty trained. Make a reward chart. Amazing what kids will do for sticker! Start with small goals like a day without an accident and build up to a week. At the end of that goal give her a bigger treat like a small piece of chocolate or a special trip with mom/dad or both. DO NOT give candy as a treat for going pee in the potty. She will spend her whole day in the bathroom and expect a piece of candy for the tinest bit of pee! Unless you are ok with that! If you have any q's send me a message!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 10:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My son does this and its so frustrating b/c he knows his body signs of when he needs to pee or poo. if it take him to the restroom its a total melt down but if daddy or nana or papa takes him he will go. I have given up for now and plan to wait 6 more months and try again. Hoping he might be a lil more ready by then.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011