Super organized moms....where are you?

Do you have any tips for me to help me out with getting EVERYTHING more organized? My home office, my school work, my kids, my husband....lol just everything! Do you have any good websites or books you turn to for help?

jalvarez626

Asked by jalvarez626 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would try flylady.com--it really helped me get organized and on the right track with my home, my office is a completely different story altogether.

When I was taking classes I SWORE by my planner. I would list my assignments and tests and when they were, and if I had a large reading assignment I would assign myself so many pages to read per night. This may sound crazy but I also rewrote my notes from my classes so that they were more legible and then label them in my binder with a sticky tab regarding what chapter(s) that were covered or the topic that was covered. I was a very organized student. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Sounds like you are overwhelmed. The most difficult part is actually getting organized, after that it's easy. The best thing to do is choose a room to start with and break it down into small jobs so you so not get overwhelmed and want to give up. Start with a closet, a desk drawer or cupboard and take everything out. Have a donate box & a trash can available. Clean out the area throwing out what can go in trash, what you would like to donate and what you wish to keep. You may want to purchase baskets, plastic trays,etc. that pertain to each job, so things stay organized.

For instance, my kids closets are color coordinated and arranged by types of clothing(all jeans together, then pants, skirts,etc.) My daughter likes hers done by fabrics as well. I put two shoe shelves in my daughters closets. Her shoes are arranged by tall boots, short boots, flats,etc. I use to organize other for other people. Message me.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 10:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I'm only moderately organized but thought I'd give some help anyhow. for me it is best to break it down into categories and organzie from there. My main trick to keep my home organized is to just have less stuff that is accessible. Our toys are all in individual bins and toys that aren't played with for a month or so are taken downstairs and stored away for awhile. I keep only enough food in my pantry so that I basically always know what is in it.

School work, I've been out of school for 2 years, ahhhh. Make sure you know exactly when everythign is due and set up a time line to get it accomplished. Somehow being organized for school was easy for me, work is another issue.

I'm slowly getting my bf organized, lol

Kids, I plan plan plan, and aticipate.

But like I said, less stuff makes it much easier to stay organized
    BBsMomSuzi

Answer by BBsMomSuzi at 5:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have a planner sized calander that is out on the counter at all times I write appts, kid activities when things are do, social activities. phone numbers etc on it! Toys have their own bins,
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My trick to keeping organized is to take preventive steps. For example, when I cook, I load the dishwasher with the dirty dishes as I cook so I don't have as big a mess to clean up afterward. When I put dirty clothes in the hamper, I keep a bottle of Shout next to the hamper and spray and scrub the dirty spots before putting it in the hamper so that when I do the laundry, and I miss one, I don't have to rewash or worse-- turn into a rag-- that extra dirty item.

I also use bins to keep things organized. I also sort out the chores through the weeks so that a little gets done each day. My house isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's not chaos... much :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 6:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well a lot of the shows I've seen show at work or home for a desk use some sort of marked folders. The same at home, have folders or boxes with the kids,w/names on them, have them put their things away themselves. Have a shelf in a closet you can put boxed games, & toys not used a lot. Put blankets & clothes in under the bed plastic boxes for summer or winter. In the kitchen, I have little plastic things separating things in every drawer. Just declutter the rooms where stuff is sitting around if not a necessity if your not great at tidying up. My DD has a special box in the closoet on the the floor, the kids they put gloves & hats. You could have hooks to hang hats or coats if you have a place to put it. Drawers, boxes, folders, shelves, they are almost a must, using them under sinks that slide out is great too. My S/O wanted certain things to wear if not in the hamper, they weren't washed. If not hung up, wrinkled, he chgd.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• At the beginning of each semester I take the syllabus from all of my classes and write them into a planner. Our university sells a planner quite cheap ($3) that has all of the school holidays already marked, midterms, finals, etc. I write these in pencil, since you know how classes can go. Teacher's absent one day and the whole schedule gets shifted around.

I make a color-coded spreadsheet of my classes, travel times, lunch, study etc. that is fairly basic so that I know where I need to be Mon-Fri at a glance to take care of business.

Family events are written on a big calendar in the kitchen, and everything gets transferred to google calendar (which can send you reminders for ANYTHING you want straight to your cell phone via text message (regular text fees apply)).
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011