Was I wrong to not share the toy?

When I took my son to the dentist he got one of those little pinwheel thingy's that you blow on and it spins around. He tried to blow on it for awhile but mostly just managed to spit on it. When I went over to the public library so he could play in the kids area and wait for our bus he had it and I didn't even give it a second thought. Some time goes by and he throws it down and plays with other toys and this little girl who is maybe 8-9 months picks it up and starts to play with it. Just then I realized he had spit all over it and she may try to put it in her mouth. So I walk over to this girl and say "Sweetie, may I have that please? It belongs to my son." She gave it to me nicely and I put it away out of site. Later I heard her Mom grumbling about selfish parents so I tried to explain that it wasn't clean, but she just threw hers hands up and said she didn't want to hear it. Would you be upset if you were that girl's Mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you did the right thing. You not only care about your child but also someone elses child. And if she doesnt wanna hear it fine who cares.
    I cant stand parent who dont take proper care of their own child. I see little kids running in the mall and the parents shop without a care. The other day I even found 2 kinds all by them self crying for their mom while she drifted of into a shoe store. Makes me so mad but its a different issue.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You did the right thing, but I would not be upset with her, just consider her an idiot.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No, I wouldn't have cared. You did the right thing.
    MrsNewman

Answer by MrsNewman at 5:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• NO, it is YOUR SON'S toy and you owed that woman NO explanation whatsoever.

Don't worry about it, if the baby had cut her mouth on it, the woman would have probably yelled at you for not picking it up sooner. Let it go. Some people are so stupid. You do not owe her anything.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You did the right thing. I would have listened to your explanation. Smile and be pleasant if you ever see her again.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well if you were that worried about it then you should have picked it up when he initially threw it down would have been my reaction and believe it or not there are some parents out there who prefer their children are exposed to germs. As young as she was I would have spoken to the mother not the infant, but other then that you did nothing wrong except maybe letting the toy sit on the floor where another child could get at it after your son dropped it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i wouldnt have been mad
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Maybe she was having a bad day. To tell the truth I might have rolled by eyes but then I would get over it lol as long as the children played well together thats all that matters. Good call on not spreading germs.
    Nerdymama

Answer by Nerdymama at 9:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• you did the right thing -- I wouldnt worry about what the other mother thought if she was unwilling to listen -- I would just consider her unreasonable and roll with it. Good Luck mom!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Absolutely not! Frankly, I'd be grateful that someone besides me was paying attention to their kid in a public place.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 11:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011