New Cat & 7 month old puppy

My fiance and I Just brought home 2 five year old brother and sister cats. Part main coon i believe.. we have a 7 month old papillon. The female cat just hides and doesn't care about the dog, but the male cat keeps attacking my dog. He literally stalks her and then attacks until we split it up. Then afterward he is mean towards us. Hissing and growling after like 10 minutes of the being separated he gets over it and cuddles and purrs.. I don't know what to do to keep the harmony, I fear for my son who is 17 months old who just wants to play with them both and I'm afraid hes going to get scratched in the middle of it. Also my dog just runs away and yelps, shes terrified.

kduffy

Asked by kduffy at 5:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pets

• The cat is probably feeling threatened by the dog and feeling threatened leads to aggressive behavior. You didn't mention whether or not the cats are feral or have been with other owners. Crate your dog and spend some time in the same room with the cats, giving treats and praise to cats and dog. When the cats become comfortable with the dog in the room, leash the dog and keep plenty of dog and cat treats on hand. Reintroduce them and if the cat becomes aggressive, immediately pull the dog back and make a noise to the cat, like AAAHHT! Walk away from the cat with your dog. Treat the dog if the dog behaves nicely. Practice, practice, practice.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• we got the cat from a family.. They had to give them away due to allergies. The dog is in her crate right now and covered in a blanket, the male cat knows where the dog is but since she is covered he doesn't really care. I give my dog treats because she hasn't growled or barked at them at all. I just hope they can live civilly with each other soon. The cat is used to children since the owners had 4 kids. Both cats are fixed also
    kduffy

Comment by kduffy (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The Maine Coon or even half maine coon are pretty well known for its loving nature, kindly disposition and great intelligence. One little thing that might help and give some additional safety to both parties might be to give the cat a place of retreat that the dog cannot physically reach. Like moving the basket/blanket it is to use for sleeping on a sideboard or some other hip-high piece of furniture. This way, the cat can retreat when it feels pestered by the dog and the probability of the two attacking each other should be reduced. I would expect a cat with a place of its own to be more relaxed than a cat which cannot properly retreat from the other pets in the household and thus less likely to attack. Coons also love to play, so a cat tree would ideal, and u could put their bed there..They also love to go outside, so if possible u could build a little "cat pin" for lack of a better term.
    _________________
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think with time it will settle down. the male cat is probably trying to get the dog to leave but when he realizes that the dog lives there too he will eventually accept the situation. Also I agree with the prrevious poster about giving the cat some space of his own that he can claim-right now he is trying to establish his territory and apparently is not happy about the dog but he will get used to him. Introduce them slowly and try to keep them separated most of the time until things settle down.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• is the cat neutered? If not, it might be a good idea to do it, as this may make him less aggressive.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 5:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011