can't afford clothes for dd

OK so i have a 4 year old dd who just went through a HUGE growth spurt or something..none of her clothes fit anymore (and i really mean none) all of her pants are now high waters and her shirts show her belly. So first can someone please explain to me HOW in the heck her clothes can fit last week just fine and now nothing does lol....but, really here is the problem. Right now we really can't afford to buy her anything we are barley making it and i even mean goodwill would be to expensive. My sister's friend was getting rid of some of her daughters clothes and so she gave them to me which was amazing but its all REALLY big..so is it better to dress her in clothes that are way to small or way to big until we can afford to go get her some new clothes? Oh i know that clothes aren't really a big deal its just she goes to preschool program at a high school near our house and even though they shouldn't they high schoolers can be pretty cruel..I one time dressed her in a over sized sweater (that i thought was really cute) and jeans and when i picked up dd she was crying because the "big kids" were saying that her clothes were ugly and that her parents must be really poor...I of course talked to her teacher who apologized and said that she would discuss it with the older kids but, it doesn't really help and it is the only free preschool around her and we want her to have the best start in life and also I don't think she should have to deal with people making fun of her clothes at 4 years old... I don't know...I am just not sure what to do...does anyone have any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• aww thats sad that they would make fun of her!! i would pick too big over too small any day! my dd has alawys been a hard fit and we always pick too big...
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ask to talk to someone higher up at Goodwill. There is a good chance you could get a voucher for her for 3 tops and 3 bottoms. That would be enough to get you buy for awhile. Check with other charities if goodwill isn't able to help. Especially if you are willing to donate at least twice as much as you are taking (you donate 6 tops that are too small and you get 3 that fit)
    BBsMomSuzi

Answer by BBsMomSuzi at 5:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Have you checked freecycle?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Call local shelters =) & Call the pregnancy centers around in your area, such as Birthright, planned parenthood, AAA for Womens Choice << that's who helped me out with my first DD! I know how you feel though =( & I wish I could help you, but i'm sure you're far from VA. I wish you the best of luck! & you're right, noone, no matter what age, race, gender deserves to get teased over there clothes
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I doubt she'd get made fun of at this age. My dd has been picking out her own outfits since she was 3, and I always made sure to remind her teachers, that, I, in fact, did NOT choose those combos! I just made sure it was weather appropriate.
    I would go with smaller pants, bigger shirts combination so she isn't having to tug her pants up every 5 secs.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 5:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Are there any consignment shops near you? They will 'buy' her old clothes that are in good condition and then you can 'purchase' new ones in a bigger size. This is how my son got 90% of his clothes when He was really little.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I would get a needle and thread and take in and take up a few of the outfits for school.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• oh, sorry I didn't read the part where the older kids were making fun of her. That sucks. The teachers allow that?
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 5:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• That is awful to be mad fun of but I agree to big is much better and more comfortable than to small! I hear ya on how on Tusday thy look fine then by Fri it is like OMG what happened here... they appear to grow over night for crying out loud! I have a circle of friends and our kids are generally the same ages and we rotate clothes ...do you have friends that are maybe a little bigger than your daughter? maybe they would be willing to loan you some clothes?
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 6:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Call local shelters =) & Call the pregnancy centers around in your area, such as Birthright, planned parenthood, AAA for Womens Choice <<

OMG i have called sooooo many times....its like they just don't have enough for all the people who need it!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011