My 4 year old DD is sick with a couch, congested nose and 102.5 fever and we have no insurance what should I do??!!

As to the no insurance..my husband wont have insurance through his job til march and she has been running a fever all day. I have given her motrin to bring the fever down and it hasnt seemed to help :(

mommaofemma

Asked by mommaofemma at 6:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• my brain is all boggled I ment cough not couch
    mommaofemma

Comment by mommaofemma (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Urgent care
    Cool bath
    Anonymous

• Are you giving tylenol or motrin? If only one, then use both alternating them every 3 hours. As long as it keeps the fever down, there is really nothing that you need to do.
    as for the congestion, get some vicks and put on the feet with thick socks along with a humidifier in her room. Don't let her lay down flat, prop her up so that she is more reclining. This will help with the congestion too.
    For the cough, honey is a natural cough suppressant and you can't overdose on it. She is old enough to take it as long as you haven't noticed any allergies.
    Keep her hydrated, this will help all of it drain. Don't worry too much about food. Let her eat when she wants and don't push.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We don't treat fever here unless they are really high. 102 isn't that bad and her body if fighting whatever is wrong....that's why the fever. That being said, there are tons of viruses going around right now. Just keep her as comforable as you can and unless her fever spikes high, I wouldn't worry too much. I have 4 boys btw.....ages 12, 10, 7, and 5
    Good luck and I hope she feel better!
    Oh yeah....steam helps with coughs
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i had to pay 112 to take 2 of my boy to the peds doc 2 weeks ago for the very same thing! was told it was a viral flu, give them fluids, tylenol, motrin and rest! lasted 4-5 days. we also put vicks on the chest. hope DD feels better soon!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 6:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• With all the recent recalls on tylenols I won't risk giving that to my kids. As for the bath, it is best to use a lukewarm water rather than cool or cold water as they will rapidly bring the temp down but cause them to shiver which will send it right back up and possibly higher than before. The luke warm water will cool them down at a better pace. Use a vaporizor and rub her chest with mentholatum or vicks vapor rub. Another method to bring down the fever is to take a towel and rub the bottoms of the feet with alcohol as well as the back. Some older family members told me that one and it has worked on me and my children.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Like others said, I wouldn't be too concerned about the fever at this point. My kids sometimes run a fever for several days before I start getting concerned about it. The fever is just a sign that they are fighting an infection. Make sure she has plenty of fluids, keep her comfortable, and someone once gave me what I consider a great tip: Treat the symptoms not the fever. In other words, if the pain is keeping her up - give her some medicine. Pay attention to how she is acting and treat that.

We don't have insurance and will sometimes go see our doctor. It is $80 for a visit, but he always tries to give us medication we can get free at some pharmacies. I would hold out for several days and see how her body does at fighting it off on its own.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Forget trying to fight the fever unless it is causing discomfort. Fevers are the body's natural way of fighting infection. Go to the drug store and buy Elderberry Syrup, and a saline mist. It will cost about $15 total, the same as a co pay and there is nothing a ped could do for a virual infection anyway.
    Put her in a bathroom with a hot shower running, or better yet take a (safe) warm shower with her. The humidity will help clear the sinuses. If you have the $, invest in a humidifier for her room.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The vicks is good too. they make a vicks for infants, that also has sage and lavender in it to help them sleep.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• love your child, keep her comfortable, give her lots of fluids and let her rest.
    i wouldn't worry about the fever at all...and i would not be giving motrin. it may be interfering with your daughter's immune system, and it cause everything to last longer...not to mention the extra burden it adds to the liver.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011