Breastfeeding on Anti-Depressants

I am 6 months pregnant and being told that I cannot breastfeed on my medication. I was quite heart broken because after being told I could stay on my medication while pregnant, I got my hopes up to breast feed.
Is there anyone that has had this problem and found an alternative?
I am currently on Zoloft, and not being on medication is not an option.

One more thing... I was unable to breatfeed my son for this exact reason, and received a lot of mean and unnecessary comments about me being "selfish" for not being willing to come off my medication. If you have any comments like that please, please, please keep them to yourself. Thank You.

Lizzy_B_1202

Asked by Lizzy_B_1202 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• they told me zoloft was the safest antidepressant to take while breastfeeding. i think that if the risks outweigh the benefits from smoking 10 cigs a day and breastfeeding then zoloft is too

they had a site they told me to go to called kellymom (i think), you should check that out

PLUS i was on zoloft too in my pregnancy and i didnt BF and my son had 'withdrawals' (okay he didnt tell me that but he did have bad colic)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• That's what they told me (the colic part) that my baby will be colic if I don't but will seem "sedated" if I do...
    Lizzy_B_1202

Comment by Lizzy_B_1202 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Zoloft is the "best drug choice so far". It has a low, low transfer rate to breastmilk (17-173 ug/liter) in mothers taking up to 150 mg/day. In one excellent study of 11 mother/infant pairs, the zoloft was undetectable in 7 of the 11 breastfeeding infants' serum and minimal in the other infants. In two other studies of one and three mother/infant pairs respectively, zoloft was undetectable in the plasma of all 4 infants. A theoretical concern with Zoloft is that some babies may not gain weight as rapidly or as well when breastfed by moms on Zoloft; so weight gain should be monitored and dosage tweaked as necessary.

taken from that kellymom site... i never actually went there before since i wasnt breastfeeding :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I read that, and thank you... I am so excited :)
    Lizzy_B_1202

Comment by Lizzy_B_1202 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011