Do you know someone personally who's addicted to drugs or alchohol?

If so, how has it personally affected their lives and yours. Just would like to get a little insight as to what impact addiction has on ppls lives. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• My father was an alcoholic and my ex's father is addicted to cocaine. With my dad it affected me in that I had to take care of him. Plus it made me careful when it came to drinking. He finally quit drinking the year he got a DUI and my sister and I had to drive him to work. With my ex FIL it affects us because his grandson doesn't even know him. He has stolen from us and treats his son like crap so we cut him out of our lives. I know it hurts my ex that he lost his father but it is better this way for my son and ultimately for my ex as well.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My best friend from HS got into drugs, we drifted apart because I couldn't stand to be around her or the people she was hanging around. I found out not to long ago that she is still hook on drugs, turned to prostitution, and been nearly killed several time for her addiction, I miss my friend.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Yes. My mother is an alcoholic. It screwed up my childhood. I had to grow up fast and take care of myself. From being molested to rape she was never there for me and called me a liar and said I lied about those things happening to me. It affects my kids now because I refuse to leave my kids alone with her so now they really don't have a grandma.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• yes
    my ex boyfriends sister is addicted to alchool, pot, and pills
    does not affect me now (nightmares once in a while still)
    when at family gatherings, sometimes she was so bad, i had to tell her and family that she was not allowed in same room as my daughter, when we slept at his moms house and his siter was there, i slept next to my daughter-even if i had to sleep on the floor, to make sure she was afe from the drunk sister, because she would stay up all night drinking and would not put it past her to try to pick my daughter up in middle of night, fall flat on her face (have seen her do this)
    it caused huge conflict because his family were all enablers (example...i heard from them when she was so drunk she could not stand up..."she has been worse"...WHF!)
    good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yes, I Know friends and family that are addicted, its hard on me and other family members but it doesnt seem to bother them much. They dont realize what they are doing and how its affecting others. My father died from drugs and alcohol abuse which was very hard on me ...Im still trying to get over it i dont think i ever completley will though!! just thought id share.
    EliannasMama

Answer by EliannasMama at 6:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My mother was an alcoholic....she beat me for years and thought it was ok. Needless to say she still the way she is and will never seek help. I had to drop all contact with her for the sake of my sanity.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• A former male friend of mine. Drinking changed his body his mind his morals his personality .... I'd never seen anything like it before. My parents didn't drink growing up.... alcoholic was just a word on movies and tv. I didn't know a thing about it but he gave me a crash course life lesson. It took him from a fit attractive man to a 300 pound sweaty Chris Farley lookin' weirdo who'd crash thru a coffee table and fall asleep for 18 hours in a pool of urine and vomit and be SO ok w/ it that he'd get up, hose off, and do it all again.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My sister. I don't have a relationship with her, but my mother keeps asking all of us to get together as a family at least once before my she dies. That's sad, cause my sister will never change.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No. My grandfather was an alcoholic, but he died.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My sisters grown daughter with 3 kids is on meth has been in jail for 30 days. She has called everyone who we have known to barrow money and never pays it back. Soon she will get tax money it will be 5 - 6 thousand and will blow it on her BF and drugs. And her BF only wants her when she gets money from welfare.

Most of the family will not have a thing to do with her till she cleans up! she lies and still to much!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2011