PURGERTORY an PRAYERS for the dead

ok if last week i asked bout praying for the dead thx 2 all who helped me understand why prayers are needed an how they are used..i started researching it..im understanding more on how others view it..but my question now is.. if our prayers are/may be used towards helpin cleanse them so they can stand b4 God..does that mean that ppl can pretty much break any an all laws if they feel cuz they are goin 2b prayed for an end up in heaven anyways..

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 6:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• ya know, ive always wondered that too!! they way i was tought to, was that at the end before you die, you're given one last chance to go with Jesus into Heaven..sooooo with that being said, can't ya just live life however ya want, and then choose Jesus at the end??!! It kinda makes sense..because if there really is only heaven and hell..wellll what happens to all those people that dont pratice any religion...they need to be given a chance too.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i know that religion is not as clear an simple as i mite think but in order 4 me 2 understand life an death..i ask these question cuz somethings are really confusin once i start hearin an ready others religion an points of view...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• They were given the chance to live a life unto God while on the earth... once you die that chance ends.
    The thief on the cross was forgiven right before he died... he had that last moment to do so when he realised who was hanging on the cross with Him. A Man who did no sin.
    I do not believe there is such a thing as purgatory... once you die your spirit goes to Heaven if you are a Christian and to Hell if you are not... Time is different here on earth as it is in Heaven.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Once a person dies, they are cleansed because death is the penalty for sin. After death, that person rests, and will be resurrected to a judgment. I can not declare the verdict of that judgment, but there will be a judgment and justice provided. These are my beliefs. Isaiah 11:3-5
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 8:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Um, no. You still have to life a life with Jesus as your Savior. However, we all make mistakes and purgatory is where we make up for those.

However, as you can see, there are a lot of different opinions as to what happens when we die. I guess we'll only really know what happens when our time comes and we die. Until then, it's all just a big guessing game.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• @anime_mom619 In your post you combine Christianity, Catholicism, and Agnosticism. If you believe in Jesus as the Savior you know where you will end up (once saved always saved). In Catholicism you end up in Purgatory based on the degree of your sins and whether or not you have confessed and been absolved of those sins. In Agnosticism they are not sure anything exists or how you get there. Make sense?
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 9:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ok ya'll bear with me, are some of u saying that everybody gets forgiven when they get to heaven? I can't believe that. I kmow there are some really and truly evil people out there and deserves to burn in hell. Matter of fact, I can think of 2 people that deserves nothing less then to be burning in hell from to eternity
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• "@anime_mom619 In your post you combine Christianity, Catholicism, and Agnosticism. If you believe in Jesus as the Savior you know where you will end up (once saved always saved). In Catholicism you end up in Purgatory based on the degree of your sins and whether or not you have confessed and been absolved of those sins. In Agnosticism they are not sure anything exists or how you get there. Make sense?"

No, I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me. I guess I'm wondering what your point is. It is not strictly Agnostic to think that we don't truly know exactly what will happen to us once we die. God will be there to judge us, I just don't know how, and neither do you or anyone else. It really is all a guessing game until the day you die and truly find out exactly how the whole thing works.

Oh, and btw... Catholics are Christian, sooo... of course those two would be combined.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• @Michigan-Mom74 thankfully we are not the Judge of that. I would add several people to that list as well
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 10:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Only those who are on their way to heaven go through the purification of purgatory. So if you go through life thinking that you can do whatever you want because you will be purged of your sins then you will have a huge surprise on the other side. For God knows your heart and your motives.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011