My dog just bit my daughter. What do I do??

My pomeranian just bit my 3yo on her hand a few minutes ago. We've had him 2 weeks & I contacted his previous owner & was told he already has had his rabies shot. I washed it off & put antibiotic ointment & covered it with a bandage & gave some ice cream to soothe the tears, but I don't know what to do next. He didn't mangle her hand, but he did break skin. What do I need to do next? Pls help!!

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 6:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pets

• if he just broke the skin, just make sure you keep it clean.

you can ask for a record of his shots too just to make sure everything is up to date! hope she feel better!
    AFMF920

Answer by AFMF920 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Put the dog in a different room for now. If the dog had a rabies shot, it should have a tag on it's collar. Call the pedi or even go to an urgent care. Get the proof from the previous order of it's shots. Better to be safe than sorry with an animal bite.

If the previous owner has no proof, I doubt the dog is up to date.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• There are a couple of things you can do, 1 would be to give the dog away. Another would be to seek training for the dog. Sometimes dogs bite just from being frightened....you need to be sure that it wasn't out of aggression. Keep the dog away from your child until you know what the dogs really like. Since you haven't had him long, he could still be adjusting to his new home.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Dog bites are nasty bites. She needs to see the Dr. Sometimes bones are punctures during a bite to the hand. Our hospitals protocol is 7 days antibiotics . The dog needs to go. Once they bite..they will always bite again. Depending on city ordinances you may be required to notify your animal control officer.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• scruffles would be outside waiting to go to the pound.
    Anonymous

• Get him away from her and still see medical attention. Any reason why they would bite her?
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• seek**
    jdbrown21

• id call her dr or call the nurse at the ER because dog bites can be very nasty. Ask if you can get proof that the dog is up to date on her shots. Now as for the dog im a firm believer that once a dog bites a child it will always bite a child and would get rid of the dog asap. If my dashound ever bit my children she would go down the road and iv had her for a long time and love her but i wont tolerate her biting my children regardless of the situation. Keep the dog away from your daughter till you can decide what is best for you.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Poms are kinda feisty anyway. I would train your daughter to be very careful with the dog....like no crowding and cornering her or pulling on her. Do not allow her to put her face close the the dogs face since most dog bites are on the face of children. He just may be scared since he is in a new home. I would get proof from the owner and find out who the vet was. Call the vet for the records. I would also call the vet on some advice about what just happened and how to keep it from happening in the future.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 6:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My pomerianian has "bit" my kids a few times. She is normally a calm dog but, my kids can get rowdy sometimes. If they are running she will chase them and snap at them, I have never noticed if it broke the skin. I have not ever been concerned with her temperment but, we have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I think I would watch your child and dog interacting together and be sure the child is not being mean or rough with the dog.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011