Am I overreacting?

My 14-1/2 month old DD just got over the croup about a week ago....actually my entire household was sick with some kind of funk, so we allowed no visitors, nor did we go anywhere unnecessary for two weeks. This afternoon, we went to my in-laws for dinner. My sister-in-law came over also with her 5 year old (we didn't know she was coming). My SIL tells me (after I hear her DD coughing/barking) that her DD was tested for whooping cough earlier in the week, and the results were not in yet. Also, that this was the first time she had taken her out of the house in 3-4 days. I love my in-laws dearly, all of them, but I feel that this was a serious lack in judgement. I feel a phone call to us prior to dinner giving us the option to opt out would have been in order. What would you do, and how would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would def. feel like she should have told you. Even if my daughter has a cough/runny nose, I tell the ppl I'm going to be around b/c I know ppl takes their kids health seriously, as they should. I would def. make sure she lets you know as soon as she gets the results.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• You did not overreact I'd be the same!!! That showed no concern for your daughter
    AlyOops

Answer by AlyOops at 7:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Some people are all about sharing bugs with kids. I am NOT and I don't appreciate it. I would feel the same way you did. Schools wouldn't be loaded with sick kids every year if parents would keep their kids home for 24 hours after their fevers went away w/o meds. I can't stand it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I would be upset also. If anyone in our family is sick we try our best to avoid children and other adults until we are no longer contageous. I also let my friends who I've hung out recently know what we have in case they might have gotten it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I personally would have been furious! That is exactly why people get SO sick, because others do not stay indoors to get "better".. They go out into the public and spread the germs!! UGH!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• the other child probably is contagious.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 7:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2011