Does anyone have tips on how to keep your baby awake while nursing?

Every time I nurse my 2 week old she falls asleep almost right away. She still sucks to nurse but afraid she's not getting enough because she falls asleep.

MicaMommy2Be

Asked by MicaMommy2Be at 8:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stroke her cheek. That's what I did with mine and they'd start nursing harder.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I had a problem with this too. My doctor told me to take his clothes off so he didn't get to warm and comfy, pat him on the back, pull him away and try to start over. I still had a hard time though.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 8:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Hey
    I hope I can help you, I had the same problem with my lil girl shes now almost 10 months i only got to breast feed her for 3 months and my milk dried up. But i always had to tickle shays feet or rub them lightly to wake her up or keep her up, it wold make her mad but it was a good thing cause then i could feel her sucking and then could feel my milk start coming down lol but i also would rub her head the nurse told me to do tht cuz most babies ont like it cuz its kinda sensitive but it does no hurt them in any way just keeps them awake.
    Well i hope this lil bit may help you let me know, good luck!!!!!
    ashley
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• When that happens I would stop feeding, gently breaking the seal or her grip so to speak. That should wake her up. That way she will soon learn she has to wake up to nurse and not use you as a binky!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Thank you for the avice. I've tried a majority of these but she still stays asllep. The ones I haven't tried I will definatly try. Again thank you for the resonses and advice.
    MicaMommy2Be

Comment by MicaMommy2Be (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• When she falls asleep, can you hear her still swallowing? As long as she's still sucking milk out and swallowing, and having plenty of wet/dirty diapers, she's fine - my babies bf in their sleep quite often when they were tiny, but grew fine. Now on the other hand, if she's barely sucking and not getting anything, unlatch, undress, etc.
    Anonymous

• She's still sucking and getting milk yes. She dos have plenty of wet & dirty diapers. Its just mainly a concern because since her 1 week check up she had lost weight. So she has to go back for a 3 week for a weigh in.
    MicaMommy2Be

Comment by MicaMommy2Be (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It is normal for newborns to lose weight the first week. As long as she has plenty of wet diapers, you are both doing great!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2011